Wednesday, March 4, 2020

A Happy Yet Sad Day - Babysitting Some Cute Kids

I contacted my sister this past week about going to visit our temple together. She called me back and told me that her father-in-law had passed away. Everyone was in shock as there was no indication before it happened, and he had a heart attack on his way to leave for work. 

It is hard to know what to do to help in these situations, but I always ask how I can help. I offered several things, but I came up with a way that I could be helpful because of an experience when my oldest was 2. 

I lived near Boston and my favorite person in my youth was my Grandmother. I loved her because she always remembered my birthday and really seemed to enjoy spending time with me. She had almost 50 grandchildren but she remembered EVERY birthday.

She was blind in her older years, but she ALWAYS remembered holidays and birthdays. I usually got hand-me-down clothes from my older sister and she would take me shopping and buy me new clothes. It was wonderful. 

Being one of 8 children, I didn't often get one-on-one time with any adult. She would always talk to me like I was a person and asked me questions about my life which made me feel like I mattered rather than getting disregarded by many of the other adults in my life. 

When she was near death, I flew to visit her with my oldest and when I arrived at my parents house, I was headed up the stairs to rest and felt a strong feeling that I should go visit my grandma right then. I went to visit her and we had a fun visit. She had a stuffed elephant on her bed, and joked that her daughter asked her if she had any regrets in her life and my grandma said, "I never rode an elephant." So, my aunt went out and bought her a stuffed elephant. That is how my grandmother was. She was always happy even though she was blind and always thought of the person she was with. 

She passed away that night. I was so glad that I was able to be at her funeral. Her grandchildren were going to sing a song that was important to her and during the funeral, my baby who was getting her 2 year molars was acting up so I ended up in a small room by myself and my cranky baby sobbing that I wasn't able to be in my grandma's funeral. 

Because of this event, I thought that maybe I could be of help to my nieces by watching their children. They felt that would be helpful, so I was blessed to babysit four adorable kids. The two babies went down for naps without a sound. Not one cry, not one whine, no problem. The older twins were so much fun. We had a great time. As they were leaving, both twins hugged me separately and the girl said, "Maybe next time we come, we can bring you some snacks!" I had given them snacks while they were there. It was so thoughtful of her. 

Everyone showed up to my house at the same time as my dad and his wife came to visit with my sister and her husband and they offered to take me to lunch. We were able to go to Chinese and have an enjoyable lunch. It was wonderful! 

I think God sometimes gives us experiences so that we can learn something. I believe that I have been able to help many people with funerals and difficult situation because of the experiences I have had that weren't very pleasant. 

I am grateful I got to know those cute kids and help out in the process. Have a helpful and blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment