Wednesday, November 25, 2020

How To Make Kombucha For Low Cost at Home

 

I was buying about $60 in kombucha weekly for a long time but finances made it so I couldn't afford to spend that money on it anymore so I looked into making my own. 
 
 
I noticed when I was drinking it, I seemed to have better gut health. I used to drink Soda every day before switching to the kombucha and felt I needed something to quench my thirst as I didn't seem to absorb the water I was drinking.

I had limited funds to start the process, so I went to thrift stores and yard sales in order to find flip seal jars. I was also able to find gallon fermentation jars in the second hand stores and yard sales. I never paid more than $2 for any jar. Usually, I am able to find them for around $1.50 a jar.

I was able to put out to friends asking if they knew anyone who had a scoby to start fermenting the kombucha. I wondered if I could make it work. 
 
I couldn't believe how easy it was to make! Basically, you just boil 8 tea bags and 1 cup of sugar. Bring it to a boil and let it steep until completely cooled.The tea is black, green, or oolong tea. I've used Oolong and Green and both were great.

Once the tea is cooled, you put the 2 cups of start you keep out from the fermented tea, and the scoby goes in and you just put a clean cloth with elastics over it and let it ferment for 6 to 10 days.

You put a few ounces of fruit juice to flavor it into the flip top jars, and then fill them up with the fermented tea. Wipe the tops and put the flip top on and shake. Allow the sealed jars to ferment with the fruit juice for a day or two checking how much carbonation has been created.

Once there is a psst sound coming out when you uncap the jar, you can put it in the fridge to drink for the next few weeks. If you don't fill the jars over full, you don't need to allow the pressure to escape. I pull out the jars every day or two and allow the pressure out. If the jar doesn't have much of a "PSsT" sound, you can leave it out for longer.

It is super easy and I was surprised at that. I really wish I had looked into making it earlier.

the longer it sits, the less sweet it will become.

 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment