Monday, November 2, 2020

Automatic Walking Tractor Sprinkler - Fun Little Find at Our Second Hand Store

I was shopping at our local thrift store when I found this cool vintage Cast Iron Ace Brand Tractor moving sprinkler with high and low settings. I had never seen one before and after looking it up online, I could see that they are old and couldn't find many. 

I figured I could sell it if it worked. I also figured I could make a video of it working and post it on YouTube. I couldn't find a video of this actual tractor but other brands. There aren't many, but I thought it would be fun just to try it myself and see how it went. 


I hooked it up to my hose and had fun trying it. While making the video, I didn't realize you could set it to go in a circle by turning the wheels, or that I could put it over a hose and it would follow the hose around the yard! I could see it for It can go in a straight line, or you can angle the front tires and it can go in a circle. You can use a hose as a track as well. I learned that by watching other brands videos. 

It is gear driven using water pressure. It is SOLID cast iron and SUPER Heavy! It is a fun conversation piece. 

It can be polished up by using TEAK Oil which you can purchase at any hardware store, and even Walmart for about $10 a can. I figured some people may not want it shiny, but like the old oxidized look so I thought I would share how to do it here in case someone else wanted to do it. 

Just clean the item well before putting the teak oil on it or it will seal in dirt. Once clean, just wipe on the teak oil using a clean cotton cloth or paper towel. It will take off any oxidation that dulls the paint leaving a shiny new look on the item. It also dries rather quickly but just make sure there are no bugs around as they like the smell and end up getting stuck in the finish so heat of day is better than dusk or dawn.

Hopefully, the video will give you an idea of how the tractor works and moves. It shows the speed of low and high, and the distribution pattern of the sprinkler. I was interested in the way it only sprinkled in a circle the size depended on the amount of water coming in from the hose. 

I think if you had a large lawn, it could be fun to just have it going around in circles and then move the circular hose and let it go again for a few hours.

It is fun to watch the tractor work. I also think it is a cute decoration for a farm house! 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment