Thursday, October 24, 2019

Fiberglass Shower Leaks Can Be Repaired

I noticed last week that I have some small cracks in the floor of my one piece shower stall. 
I let the shower dry and then coated the cracks with thick clear fingernail polish. When I went to do this, I realized I had many more than just one crack. There were about six. I then realized a day or two later that there is a crack on the opposite side as well. 

A few days later I was working in the basement, and I realized that I had a paint bubble in the ceiling paint in the laundry room which is just under my bathroom. I measured the distance from two walls trying to find the leak as it could have been from the nozzle section in the wall, it could be from the drain, but the paint bubble was exactly below the cracks I noticed in the shower. 

The paint bubble was actually dry inside, so I think the nail polish did work sealing the cracks temporarily, so that is a happy thing, and I hope it keeps working until I can get it fixed. 

I went to several different hardware / fix it stores, and they do have small fiberglass shower repair kits but they don't have colored kits and the one they had wouldn't have covered all the cracks. 

I found larger fiberglass kits and almost purchased a car fiberglass repair kit but, I have a cream shower and the fix is a clear / smoke type of finish. 

I called a few plumbers and they said that you can get repairs done in color but the one that comes to my area said that he may just clear coat the base and see if that would do with a type of resin as the wooden support structures is still strong. I think the damage may be due to my peroxide that I use on my hair about once a month. It also could just be age, but I am sure the peroxide can't help the problem. 

The men are coming next week to look at my shower, so I am praying they can fix it with a small cost as just the shower stall is over $1000 to replace not including installation and that would mean ripping out walls etc. If that is the case, I think I will be showering in a different bathroom and leave that shower alone till I have a better income. 

Oh the things I get to learn owning a home! That shower is one thing I really love in my home. There are things I have wanted to fix or change in my house since we moved in, but the shower is not one of the things I wanted to replace. I'll keep praying they can fix it! 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment