Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Covering Trailer Tires on a Camp Trailer or RV To Keep From Cracking

I have had my trailer parked in many places over many years. When it was parked near another trailer, I didn't have to cover my tires. 

When the trailer wasn't parked near another trailer or building, I have used cardboard, wood, and metal to cover the tires to keep them from cracking in the sun. 

When I first got the trailer, I didn't cover the tires and they would crack so much that the air would leak out of them so I would have to replace them every year or two.

I learned the hard way by replacing four tires every few years to take the time to cover them so that I wouldn't have to replace them so often. I have thought of several different ways I could cover them now that it is in a field where the sun reaches both sides of the trailer most of the day. 

I decided to try something new this year. I had several yards of barrier fabric for landscaping left after I landscaped the back yard. You can see that post here.

 I used some snaps that were screwed in the side of the trailer to attach a skirt for winter camping. I was able to fold over the top of the fabric and then pushed the screw through the fabric and screwed it back into the trailer where I had unscrewed it. 

It was super easy and quick to be able to cover the tires for the winter from the sun and elements. I think I will just do this each year when I need to store the trailer rather than fighting wood or cardboard. 

The other thought I had was that I could sew some elastic on some of the fabric and make tire covers. You can purchase tire covers but they will also break down as I have had to purchase many spare tire covers over the years and they all break down in a year or two. Basically, anything you use will break down over time in the sun but this is a nice and easy way to cover them. 

Have a Blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment