Thursday, August 13, 2020

Unlocking a Phone For a Different Carrier

Princess Four and Five both got new to them phones recently. I bought one from a woman who was in the phone store while I was hooking up my new phone. The company was only going to give her a about $60 for the phone, so I offered to buy it for $5 over that amount and she was happy to get the extra $5. 

I was shopping at a second hand store shortly after that, and there was the exact phone, pink in color, with the same memory with the box for around $30. I figured it was worth the risk as both girls love that small ipod sized phone and it fits in their pockets and is more sturdy than the larger phones. 

The SE is an older phone, but they sell the second generation SE currently for $400 at Walmart as it is a popular phone with kids. 

Princess Five hooked hers up as soon as she arrived home from her mission in May. We had no problems getting it hooked up to service. I actually gave Princess Four her phone before that but she was having a hard time getting her information off the phone as she didn't have time to go to the phone store and get it switched over as she needed and upgraded sim card. 

She graduated, finished working, moved, and didn't get it hooked up to service. Recently, I told her if she wanted to wait and get a newer phone after she finds a job, I could sell the older one. She said she would go and get it upgraded. 

She kept letting the battery run out forgetting to turn it off and her roommate worked at a different phone company and said that the phone wouldn't work on our service as it was a prepay phone. I kept telling her she needed to go to the carrier store and get the new iPhone working. She kept telling me her roommate knows what she is talking about and I gave up trying to get her to do anything with it. 

She came home for a family event this week and I asked about the phone. I charged it up and took it to the local phone store. The girl working was newer to the store and told me that in no way could the phone be used on our service. I told her I have used many prepaid phones on our service over the years and there had to be a way to get it to work. I also gave her information on another matter she said wasn't possible which I know for a fact is so I figured she just didn't have the knowledge. 

I then went to our local Walmart where there is a man I know is quite educated with phones and have gotten help before. He also told me there was NO possible way I could use that prepay phone on our service carrier. He was SURE. He then tried to sell the me exact phone second generation for the $400 with a $200 rebate from the carrier. 

I came home and did a very short google search with transferring the iPhone SE from a prepay to a major cell phone company. Within seconds, I found the exact question with the exact phone and phone carriers as my situation. It had several people responding saying to call the prepay phone carrier and get the phone unlocked. 

I then searched for the 1 800 number for the pre-pay carrier and had about a five minute wait. They had me give them the IMEI number for the phone. They check to make sure that it doesn't have any surcharges or is marked stolen and then the transfer to you to the department for unlocking the device. This call would have had a half out wait, but they give you the option to get a call back holding your place in line. I gave them my number, about forty minutes later I get a call back. 

After giving them the IMEI number again, they check to make sure it is available. They then get your email and name with a contact number so they can email you the "unlock" code so you can use the phone on any carrier. They give you a reference number in case you have any issues using the "unlock" code on the phone and you have to wait 24 to 48 hours to get the unlock code. 

I waited over a month to get the apple id password for my own phone going through Apple, so I was super impressed with the company getting back with me so quickly and a short response time. The last time I dealt with unlocking a phone it ended up taking months of back and forth, forwarding emails, unlocking the phone wrong, hours on hold, going into several company stores and in the end, the phone never did unlock! 

This was a BREEZE compared to that other situation. I know she would love a new phone, but this one is slightly newer than her current phone and the same size she has and likes so I am just grateful that I was able to unlock it. 

She does need a new SIM card for it but we are lucky to have two stores in town so that won't be a problem. I will share with both stores that the phone DOES work with the network even though it is a prepay and that they can share that information with others in the future. I will be glad to have another thing off the list of things to do. 

Stay safe and have a Blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment