Monday, August 24, 2020

Starting a New Life Quilt for a Special NERD

Princess one has gotten less t-shirt quilts overall as she was oldest and I didn't really start making the life quilts until she was out of the house. We did two life quilts for her in an A and B quilt. Her favorite shirts were on the A quilt, and the less favorite quilts went onto the B quilt. 

I told her I would make her another quilt since I have made each of the girls a "collection quilt." I made them each a quilt of shirts that match the collection that they collected growing up. I've done Snoopy, Sesame Street, Tweety, Pooh, and some girls have gotten even another quilt for things they enjoy like, Musicals, Comics, and Dr. Seuss. 

With that, she told me she didn't care about another quilt. I asked her husband if he was interested in me making him a "life quilt." He hadn't kept any of his t-shirts from his life. I then asked him if he was interested in getting a "nerd" shirt quilt. I give him nerdy shirts for birthdays and holiday, and he wears Nerdy Graphic Tees, so I thought it may interest him.

He said that would be fun. I then started collecting fun "nerd" shirts. I had Princess Two help me look and find shirts that we thought he would like representing things he loves and enjoys. He is an avid book reader, so some of them reference books he likes, movies he loves, and things he just enjoys. 

Last tie they visited me, I had him spend some time sorting through the shirts that I found that I thought he would like. He picked out his favorites in a quick sort, and then he sorted down to shirts that would fit onto a king sheet, as it can the be used as a bedspread for a full bed which is in their spare room. 

While I had Princess Three and Four down this week, we were watching a series from the hallmark channel that we spent hours watching. While we watched, I laid out the quilt in the order he picked. Took a few pictures to make sure I had it in the right spot, and then I washed all the shirts, and the black and white king sheet I bought for the backing. 

I finished washing and drying them, pulling them out before they dry wrinkled, and got them laid out in the order that Princes One wanted. He spent a VERY long time picking out the order that he wanted, as he took my advice on making it look even as it looks odd if all the colored quilt squares are in one corner or next to each other. He did a GREAT job laying it out, and that makes my life SO much easier as I can get right to cutting now. 



Laying it out is one of the most time consuming parts of the quilt! I am excited to get started on the cutting. 

Princess Five is moving to college this week, and I found out today that Princess Four is moving home while she job hunts,  so I will still be blessed to have one of my Princesses home! 

Have a Blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment