Tuesday, July 28, 2020

HOW to FIX a SCRATCH or Marks on LEATHER COUCHES

Don't use this method if you care about your couch and are worried about it being damaged. Try this on a spot where it won't be seen before doing it where it may be visible. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

When I bought this couch many years ago,  I purchased it to go into our basement after we had some flooding.

I wanted to replace the couches down there due to flooding. I found this $2800 couch at a clearance center for $900. Before I bought it, I went to a furniture store and saw the exact couch for $2800. I rushed back to the clearance center and purchased it. As I was paying, another person offered them $100 more if they could buy it instead of me. Since I had already struck the deal and was headed to pay, I got the couch. 

I was excited about being able to get it and paid someone to come to my home and help me move it into the basement. We tried for hours taking off the feet, going down the stairs with different angles and after a few hours of trying, we couldn't get it into the basement. 

Due to our moving it back and forth, around corners etc., it was frustrating and we got paint scratches on the leather. I wasn't able to get the paint off the leather without damaging the leather and taking off the dye on the leather. 

The couch back has had those white paint marks on it for ten years or more. Princess Five and I worked on the couch this week and I figured while we were working on it, I should take care of those white paint marks. 

I have made many posts on using Sharpie pens to fix scratches on furniture, cars, toys, books, and this post is on using it on leather! 

I use three different techniques to cover the marks, cover scratches, or fixing fading around the scratches. 

The first method is drawing on the scratches and before the ink dries, you use your finger to rub over the wet ink which blends it into the leather. 

The second method is to scribble a bit of the ink on your finger and rub it onto the faded leather transferring the ink onto the leather while it is still wet. It works if you don't want to use the marker directly on the leather. 

The last method is to use the tip of the marker and just making dots so that there is a darker area in the center and then lighter as it goes out. Natural leather sometimes takes up dies in a dotted pattern so this can be used to make it look more natural. 

WATCH THE VIDEO for more detailed instructions. You can see very clearly on the video how it can match fairly well if done right. Depending on the color of leather item you have, you may have to try different colors of Sharpie markers. I have sometimes even used non-sharpie brand permanent markers. 

Always try this on a spot that won't be noticed if the colors don't match exactly. Sometimes you can blend a darker marker in by mixing some of the ink on your finger and mixing it with a bit of fluid, I have used spit and water at times. Gross but effective. 

Feel free to ask questions! Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment