Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Yams Baked and Frozen For Later

We love yams at our house.When I find them on sale, I try to buy lots of them as they are really expensive most of the time.


I don't like canned yams. I am not a big fan of candied yams. 

We like yams and sweet potatoes. We like them as fries but our favorite way to eat them is roasted with butter, salt and pepper. 
 
We also like them with coconut butter and a little bit of nutmeg in them.  

I was blessed the other day to get a box of yams from the local food bank. When they get overages, they call me and I help distribute the overages rather than have the food go to waste. 
 
Yams are similar to potatoes as they can get old and still be used. I don't like letting them get to that point. 

I would rather have them used when they are at their best and then freeze them already cooked so they are ready to use. 

I peel the yams and then roast them at 325 degrees. The amount of time depends on the amount of yams to cook. 
 
I check them with a fork after about an hour and keep checking every half hour after that.

Once they are soft enough to mash with a fork, I take them out. I let them cool some and then put them into doubled up freezer bags. 
 
Once they are in the freezer bags, I mash them with my hands and add butter, salt and pepper. Or, at this point, you could add the coconut oil and nutmeg if you try that and like it.
 
You can put as many in bags as you like. If you are freezing them just for yourself, you can freeze each one individually. 
 
If you are freezing them for a family, you will probably want to put as many as you can in quart bags. 

It was great that there was enough for me to get six quart bags full. 


Princess Five and I like to just leave a bag in the fridge and eat it for snacks. It is one of my favorite foods. I am so grateful that the food bank had overages. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment