Monday, February 14, 2022

A little Power Situation - Power Out Again

I was headed to bed last night when the power went out. I called the power out number and she said no one had reported it. 
I flipped the house breaker and there were no numbers on the power meter so she said they would send someone in the morning. I showered as I didn’t want the water to be cold in the morning. I have shared about my favorite flashlights and was glad to have them with the house dark. The round motion sensor lights I have around my doorknobs and I have one in my bathroom so I don't have to turn on the light at night. I could walk the the entire upstairs without my phone due to the round lights. Here is a post about those.

I then realized my phone was at 1% and I wouldn’t get woken up. I looked for a wind-up clock in the basement and couldn’t find one. I then went out to the car with my hair dripping in my sweats after my shower to find the jump starter charger and it wasn’t in my car. The last time I saw it was at our reunion at the lake so figured it was in the trailer so I couldn't use it to charge my phone. 

I noticed a worker in a truck by neighbor a few houses away. I kept looking around my car and he backed up and I asked him if it was more than my house. He said my immediate neighbor didn't have power and another customer called so they called him instead of waiting until morning, but he didn’t think it was more than 8 houses. 

I told him why I was outside and he was really nice and even though it was 3 a.m. by this point, I felt safe. He told me his car charger was at home charging or he would have lent it to me. I think he went above and beyond coming out in the middle of the night to fix the power. 

I went back in and used my computer to charge the phone but if I wasn’t playing on the phone and keeping the computer on as not plugged in it shuts off in five minutes, so I played solitaire and kept the computer open and after 4 a.m. I had 36% on my phone so decided to go to sleep thinking I would finally have an alarm as the worker said it may take a long time digging if it was the big transformer. 

We talked about emergency prep and he also remembered the last time this happened on our street years ago and even remembered the name of the neighbors backyard they had to dig up to get it working again. He said he was going to look at the smaller one first and hoped it was the problem otherwise they would have to dig up the big one in my neighbors yard again. 


I guess it was the smaller transformer as the power came on about 4:20. I plugged my phone in and was finally able to get to sleep.

I learned a little lesson as I had to go searching for my car / emergency charger in my trailer and eventually found it in the back seat of my suburban from the lake reunion in August! I used to be so good at plugging it in every few months and keep it in my car but with the crazy of the wedding and the reunion over a few weeks, I guess it got misplaced. 

I am grateful they were able to get the house power back on so quickly and I got notified about the initial outage, a notification that they were sending a truck, and then a last email notification saying that 10 houses had power out and it had been restored! 

I feel very grateful we live in a country where we can have electricity all the time, hot showers, a furnace, and so many appliances and a freezer and fridge full of food! 

Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment