Monday, March 21, 2022

Sleep In Heavenly Peace - Worthwhile Charity

I posted a few months back about the day I sent my resignation from the Food Bank Board, I was contacted by a friend of mine who asked if I would be on the core team for a charity they were now involved in as she knows I am into doing service. 

I though God had his hand in that situation as it was hard to walk away from the food bank after so many years. So, I looked into the new charity and thought it was what looked to be a great charity. 

A few years ago, I saw a news clip on this charity and how the couple that started it didn't want children to have to sleep on the floor, share beds, or sleep on a mattress with no beds.  

I wasn't able to attend the training meeting for new volunteers as I was at my grand-daughters baptism, so this past weekend was the first time I was able to attend a build. 

They were able to get some of the wood donated by a local wood production company that had large pieces of seconds that they allowed the group to cut up to save some money on wood. They were able to get a few men to cut up the wood before the event to save time at the build. 

I was at the log in table to get everyone logged in and sign the paperwork. They had some cute hand outs for the volunteers. After the first hour, it was boring at the front table but they had more volunteers than they had positions, so I wiped out the inside of my car while I watched to see if new volunteers came. 

I dressed cute thinking I would be away from the build. However, they had me downwind from the sanding table and started coughing and choking on the dust. The table was covered. So, after many of the volunteers left, I started sanding the boards and got dust in my eyes and all over my clothes. I was wearing suede black boots and I am sure they are probably ruined now. 

You can check out the videos on their website called SHPbeds.org. There is more information on how to get involved as well. 

They have stations set up and the set up is really smooth with how they have it organized, but I did get a bit frustrated with a few things and made some suggestions on how they could overlap the volunteers so the ones from the first session could teach the second group how to do it and not leave the leadership finishing so much at the end and have so many at the beginning that they weren't able to do much. 

I didn't think that some of the set up is the most efficient, but others explained to me that part of the process is that they want to offer people the opportunity to serve so that they will feel a connection to the beds and donated to the fund to pay for the items needed to build the beds. 

I think they may get more donations having the volunteers make the beds in the homes of the children, but I am sure they have figured out the best way to do things. I know that as we continue to get things more organized with more builds, it will run more smoothly and become a quicker process. 

We were able to make 15 bunk beds in half a day. I am grateful that I have a new charity to serve for and met quite a few new friends during the day! 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment