Thursday, June 19, 2014

Making Money and Updating Hosehold Items

 Twice in the last week or two, I was able to find something that I wanted to upgrade in my home at a second hand store where I purchased the item and then sold my older item for more than I paid for the newer version at the second hand store.

Princess Four had a bed spread in her room that she didn't like. She has always been sensitive to textures and would take off her socks and turn them inside out not liking the seam touching her feet. I understand that she is that way but she never let me know that the bed spread texture bothered her. Princess Two told me after that she never liked the texture of the fabrics from the spread either. 

When I found out that this was the reason she never put the spread on her bed. She had another blanket she used but I figured if she doesn't like the blanket, why keep it. So, I was able to put it in a yard sale and got $35 for the set as it was a king bed set. 

I then found a new bed spread and two pillow shams in the bag. It looked like someone bought it just for the dust ruffle or something. I got the stuff in the bag for $1. I washed the set and put it on Princess Four's bed as a surprise while she was gone on a trip and she was thrilled with the new spread and likes the texture and weight of the new one. I like the colors better and think it matches her room better.

A day or so later, I was thinking I would like to upgrade my under the counter radio and cd player in the kitchen as sometimes the cd skips so I can only use new cd's in it. A day or so later, I found this Sony player at a second hand store.

When I put the old one in, I didn't want to have to put screws through the bottom of the cupboard. The people who owned the home before us had an under the counter unit in this same spot but I just wanted it to be flush so I took the unit to the hardware store and asked them how I could attach it to the underside of the cabinet without having screws sticking up into the bottom shelf. 

They helped me come up with the brackets that I used and screwed into the bottom sides of the cabinet. Once that was screwed in on both sides, I used cable to loop under the unit and through the holes on the other bracket and then back under the unit and then clamped the entire thing once it was up against the underside and secure.

You can see what the brackets look like, you can see the clamps and you can see how the cable is under the unit in the front and the back. 

I LOVE the new unit as is a better quality name brand and the sound is much better but both girls weren't happy with the change as the other one you could use the knob to find the station and fine tune it and this one is digital so at first, they were upset by the new one but now, they seem happy with it.

I bought the new one for $5 and sold my old one for $8. Any little bit helps. The nice thing about putting this new one in the way i have it attached was I pulled the cable out of the back clamp and just loosened the cable to remove the old one and then slipped the new one in and then tightened the cable back up and clamped the end. It only took a few minutes. Much less than screwing and un-screwing the unit. I shared with the new owner of my old one how I attached it as I didn't have any hardware for her to attach it either. 

The kids seem happy as I update things in the house and get rid of the old and the best part is that I am making money as I do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment