Thursday, August 30, 2012

Peg Board Jewelry Holder / Hanger - Custom Made




I went to my friends house a few weeks ago and saw the cutest jewelry holders in her twins rooms. 

She took peg board, and chair rail / molding and made them into custom jewelry holders.  

She got hooks and pegs along with some baskets of different sizes at Home Depot so they could customize their jewelry boards for their individual needs. 

I was fascinated with the idea only because I had this jewelry holder that had a hole in the middle of it. I think before I bought it at a second hand store, it probably had a mirror in the center but when I purchased it for a dollar or two, it just had an open area in the center. 



I came home after taking a photo of each of her girls boards (the second and third photo shown,) and got out our holder (top photo above) and pulled out some peg board that I had for some other projects I have been doing. We walked it down to my neighbors wood working shop to cut it to fit into the space provided where the mirror was supposed to be. 

It is just regular peg board. You can make the holders any size you want but since I wanted to use the jewelry holder I purchased which had a basket at the bottom and holes for earrings all the way around, I cut mine to fit that holder. 

My friend made hers square about 1 1/2 feet square. She painted hers black and I used the hammered Rust-oleum bronze color but wished I had used the "Hammerite" rust cap bronze that I used on some of the wedding decorations last December and also on some other projects recently. It gives a thicker coat and is less likely to chip or scratch as easily. The spray paint did work and was quicker. 


I bought some hanging hooks from Ikea second hand as well and hung them off the basket at the bottom so we could hang a few more rings and bracelets off the sides that would have been dead space.  

I did notice that my friend used single hooks but I only had the two pronged hooks on hand which took up more space and only allow you to use every other hole. I think I may get some of the single hooks if she gets more jewelry. 

We hung it in Princess three's college room and she isn't into jewelry as much as some of the other girls so it is enough for her. 

The reason I like it so much is that all the jewelry is easy to find and easy to put away. If they use their jewelry boxes, they don't always put it away and it sits on their dresser or desk for a few days. This way, it is just as easy to hang it. 

If you aren't sure you could make a frame from moulding or chair rail, you can just go to a second hand store and buy some old frames. Spray paint them and then paint the peg board a different color and put the board into the frame. 

Go to the local hardware store and buy what pegs, hooks and baskets you want, and you are in business. It wouldn't be hard at all to make. 

Princess number five was a bit jealous of Princess three's new holder and said she would like one. I told her I would keep my eyes open to see if I could find one similar. The reason she liked that one rather than making one is that hers has little holes all around the edges and on the basket which holds earrings. She also liked the basket and hooks on the bottom. 

If I can't find one soon, I think I will make them for the girls for Christmas. The girls all have jewelry boxes but most don't use it like they should, I can see the ease of these. 

Share with us if you decide to make one and how it turned out and any innovations you make. Happy Crafting!        

No comments:

Post a Comment