Thursday, January 18, 2018

Fastest, Cleanest, and Easiest Way To Peel Pomegranates


Growing up, we peeled many pomegranates as my grandparents lived in the south and had pecan orchards and Pomegranate trees.

Every Thanksgiving through January, many of us kids would have pink stained fingers as we loved the royal, juicy fruit.

We would cut and peel them as snacks, or for our favorite treat over the holidays, "Dixie Salad" which has been a tradition for holidays my entire life. With such a large family, we would be peeling pomegranates and cracking pecans for hours as we have well over 75 people attending in cousins, aunts, uncles etc on both sides of the family as my mother and father both have lots of siblings, who all had lots of children.

Another favorite treat using pomegranates is a cranberry Jello salad with peppermint in it. Sometimes I would add pomegranate, and other times, not. I stopped making it for our meals as the kids never really liked the texture of the cranberries but I made it this year as I have been craving raw cranberries and had half a bag left from that, so I made the salad and ate most of it myself as the kids just never loved it. I had no problem eating the entire thing. I wonder if I left out the cranberries and just put the peppermint and pomegranates in it, if they would enjoy it more. Maybe I will try that next year.

When I learned this really fast and easy way to peel and seed a pomegranate a few years back, I LOVED it and have never gone back. My fingers don't end up stained and it goes so much quicker as the little white peel / skin floats to the top so it makes pulling them out a job that takes seconds and you don't even have to touch the fruit. 

Also, some of the dead or rotten seeds float to the top making it super easy to get the good fruit sorted. 

Basically, you slice the fruit into fourths or sixths and fill a bowl with cold water. Put the sections in the water and turn them away from you and just push the back center of the slice inside out and all the seeds just fall into the water and you can just run your fingers over the inside of the fruit and it takes seconds to pit or seed them. 

Then, pull out the little white floating pieces, strain and you have the fruit ready to use! It really can be done in about a minute or two and no stained fingers either! Also, no juice dripping or staining the counter or cutting board. It really is just wonderful. I am so glad I learned this method and wish that I had learned it years before! Hopefully the video makes it clear if this post isn't! 

Have a Blessed Day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment