Monday, May 7, 2012

Home Decorating and Decor Week 2 - Winnie The Pooh - Walls


 I wasn't able to get more than 2 rooms done last week so I thought I would go ahead and finish up this week hoping to get a few more rooms done. I decided that I think this is boring for other people to read about how I decorate my house. Whose to say that anyone cares. I think that is why I haven't posted about this before but I have a friend who LOVES looking these type of things up on blogs so I figure after two years, I should probably have some of the rooms I have done online and only had one bathroom done until last week. So, today, I will share with you how I finished off the "Pooh" room.

Before I did this room, it had sponge painting on the top portion of blue and pink hearts and it had a border with little sheep in pink and blue. Before ripping off the border and deciding what to do, I figured if I kept the lower part of the walls, white, I would use less paint and I could just use some of the paint splashed on to accent that. I took some of my mis-matched paint (read about that here) and had one tinted to look like sky blue and another to look like Pooh tan.

Depending on the year of Pooh you use, the colors have varied a bit. I went with a neutral tan that is less the yellow or the mustard that some of the older "Pooh" characters were. Once I had the paint, I used painters tape to keep the lines of the border already on the wall. I used the thicker painters tape so that I could roll using a paint roller saving me time and effort. So, I used the tape to mask above and below the border and then ripped off the old border using a spray bottle of water and a wash cloth.

Once I had all the border off, I took out the roller and rolled on the tan color where the border was. This saved me marking off height or keeping the lines straight. I just rolled it on and then took off the painters tape that had bordered the "border" before I took it off. Then, I used the same tan to do a similar speckled paint to what I did in the lime green room. I just used cheese cloth or a feather duster to put the tan paint on the off white that was already there. This saved the tan color for me to use in another room so I didn't have to tint another color.

I had already painted the top portion a sky blue. I then took a sea sponge and lightly picking up some white and some grey acrylic paint on the sponge tips, I sponged some clouds around the sky of the room. You can see on the close up of the writing above the cloud look behind the "A and C" of acre. If you notice in some of the other pictures, you can see that as well.

I then made stamps out of foam in the shapes I wanted on the border and glued the shape onto a wooden block. I then dabbed it in the colored paint desired using acrylic paints from a craft store and went to work making the border. As you can see in the top pictures, I made a red t-shirt representing Pooh's shirt and made one in the shape of a honey pot and a beehive. Lastly, I made one in a red balloon which, we all know, is what Pooh used to get his honey from the tree.

I stamped those on in an order a few inches apart and then let them dry. While they were drying, I took a Sharpie pen in black (my favorite as you can tell by how many posts have "Sharpie" in them) and started making my "bee flight" lines. I bought a set of "Pooh" stamps at some point years ago and they had a "bee" in them. I used that stamp to make bees on the wall at different places so I could have the words and a trail around the room with the "bee line" making the way. The stamp wasn't dark enough so after that, I went over the stamped bee with the thicker Sharpie to make the bees stand out.

The words I wrote at the top are; "Welcome to my Hundred Acre Woods" all using the bee and bee lines to write the words. I wanted to make it look like the bees were in the sky writing. I carried the theme all around the room on the border and even on the hearts used to hold back the curtains.

On the closets, I did an alternating technique using the tan sold on the panels and the splashes on the frames or border. However, now, I would probably do it the opposite way as to have the darker color where the hands touch keeping the prints from showing as much and doing the splashes on the panels. Funny how you learn these things later. I didn't use the complete gallon of either the blue or the tan in this room. Doing the splashes of color also saved time as I didn't have to mask anything or do any painting under as I already had the off white on all the walls.

I found shelves and frames we already had and used the blue on some and the tan on others to accent the room and also to give my daughter a place to display some of her collection.

I used a pillow case or some stray fabric I found at a second hand store to cover the dresser but over time, that was removed and a stereo replaced it. I laughed when a friend came over and told me I spelled "honey" wrong on the honey pots I made on the border. Pooh spells his "Hunny" with one of the n's backwards. I laughed when I saw that. It wasn't for over a year and I never noticed I had done it wrong. Once the border stamps were dry, I took my handy dandy Sharpie and used it to edge each shape and highlight them and wrote words on some. The bee flight border didn't take as long as I thought but outlining and tracing the bee's did take some time. 

I wrote in another post how I was looking for red velvet bed spreads. This was because I was going to use yellow thread and trace pooh's shirt on the front and write "Pooh" on them like his shirt as on the old Pooh's he had a red velvet shirt and a yellow "Pooh" written upon it. However, I decided I would skip the stitching and just use the red velvet bed spreads on them. As I wrote in the other post, (see here) I had a friend that heard me on the radio looking for red velvet bed spreads and called me saying she had curtians. I ended up finding all the spreads second hand by asking and the curtains were free to me. The spreads only cost me a few dollars each. Princess number 2 used them for years and kept them thinking she may want to use them later but changed over as she got older to a bit more mature set. I thought she would want her room painted over the years but the room is still "Pooh" but just the painting. I will probably make it into an office at some point but until she say's I can paint over it and is married or off on her own, it is "her" room.  

Similar to the other girls rooms and collections, I got the letters to spell out her collection and put them on the wall using "Fun Tack" after trying small tacks which often fell out and the letter would fall and break, I found that a good amount of "Fun Tack" works wonders. 

You can see in the above picture that I did the back of the door the same as the closet doors but would have swapped that out for the other way so that the finger prints don't show up as much. Always do the dark color on door frames, around knobs and edges of doors so that their little dirty prints don't show up as much. Just something you learn as a mom.

I found the cute little figures on the top two pictures over time at yard sales and second hand stores. I tacked those up using small tacks and added characters as I found them. I thought using the boarder as a line for the "train" was easiest so I did make that the road for the little train and it worked. 

 I found this old Pooh at a yard sale some years ago. She decided a few years ago that she had more than enough stuff and cleaned out half of her collection getting rid of it and kept only the older one's or the one's she had memories with. Some collections have way too much stuff if they are older items. It is funny that "Snoopy" has almost less stuff than "The Wizard of Oz" and both have been around for years. However, anything to do with Disney or Sesame Street, which is now Disney, there are millions of items. So, those collections have more things and have had to be "down sized" several times to keep them at bay. When people knew we collected an item, they would send the items matching the collection our way so each girl has focused on maybe one charactor more than all of them to keep it smaller.

Here is a picture once again of the velvet curtains but I included it so you can see how I incorporated the little bee's flying on the hearts that held the curtains back. They curtains are a bit short for the window but when we did the room, she had bunk beds and you can see they stop at the border so it really didn't matter.

We gave some bunk beds away to a family that needed them and got her a twin with a trundle as she got older. Now, there is a twin in the room. It is a very small room and I am really suprised that she kept the room for so long. She could have moved up when her sister went to college but she opted to keep her smaller room. I think it helps her get rid of things more easily and keep it cleaner having the smaller room. I have noticed, the larger the girls room, the more messy it is. Funny how that works.

I think a red balloon tied onto the tree or Poohs hand would be cool if I could keep it up without the helium leaking out of it. Kinda on a wire string or something. That would have been cute. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for viewing her "Hundred Acre Woods" with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment