Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Personal Magnetic Paper Doll - Part 1

So a month or so ago I had this idea that I thought my girls would enjoy. I thought of making personal paper dolls and putting them on magnets so they could be on our fridge and they could dress themselves in their own outfits.


So, on a Saturday, I set out with my camera and a willing daughter to make some dolls. We had to be very careful to measure the distance between the camera and my daughter each picture and to measure her arm angle of both arms so that the clothes would fit over the body.


So for this post, I will just tell you how to take the pictures.


What worked best for me after some trial and error was to put her with her back to the fence a stick down where her toes should be and to put a stick down that my knees touched when I knelt to take the pictures. This meant that she would be the same distance for each picture.


Then, I put a piece of tape on the fence (or wall) behind her so I knew exactly where to have the top of my frame of the camera. I put the stick for her toes at the bottom of the frame so that each picture of her was the exactly same size.


Now, for the arms. I made one of her arms up so that she could hold different items and change them out for different outfits.


I measured the distance from her shoulder to her wrist on the arm that was up and made sure her knuckles of her left hand were on the same spot on her hip each time.


I put her in a tank and some shorts for her main picture so that she could wear skirts etc and not have the pants showing on the main doll.


When my older daughter came out and wanted a doll. I wondered how to make her the same size so she would be able to wear all the same clothes that my other daughter wore rather than making her take a picture in them plus the cost of developing two of each outfit. We figured out that my youngest daughter measured 3 inches tall on the view finder on the camera and so I kept taking pictures moving back further and further until she was exactly three inches tall also. I placed a stick on the ground there also which make the process faster because I could take pictures of one while the other was changing outfits.


Tomorrow, the clothes.... Isn't this fun! My girls all helped make this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment