Thursday, December 29, 2016

Some of my Favorite Things At Grandpas House

 I shared with you yesterday that my dad and "mom" (step in name only as I love her like my mom) put on our annual sibling Christmas party at their home. 
 
I had to share this picture to show what a beautiful table she sets. Live flowers in the center. A beautiful table cloth from Princes Edward Island, china and crystal times three!

For years, I have loved enjoying some of the art / furniture pieces / items in their home. Most people have similar furniture and styles in their home and you can find the same colors and "style" you would find in a magazine as people follow trends. 

If you read my blog, you will know that I like unusual pieces of furniture. I like "one of a kind" pieces that you don't see most places. What I really enjoy, are pieces that are functional yet beautiful. I love things that work as one thing but still look like art, carved pieces, etc. 

To see my childhood Pump Organ click here.

To see my hand crank or treadle sewing machine, click here. 

To see the oxygen refilling station coffee table, click here.

To see part of my dining / carved table set click here.

To see my clock that is art / functional matching the table click here.

To see our radio table before I worked on it here.

To see our Victrola / Pathe hand crank record player, click here. 

As you can see, the functional yet beautiful, have a place in my world. So, I wanted to share with you some of the pieces that I enjoy when visiting their home. 

My "mom's" family is from Hawaii. This little table above with six chairs is hand carved with such amazing scenes on it and yet is functional. You can just see little children enjoying sitting at the table. When the chairs are tucked under the sides, it makes a great coffee table and you wouldn't even know it has chairs. 


Another piece I enjoy is this "secretary" desk. What I truly love about it is that she actually uses the desk to write notes and pay bills. So many pieces of furniture just take up space and don't get used. I love when you actually can use them and yet enjoy them as you use them. 

It seems like before the 1960's that making furniture was an art. Since then, it seems that furniture is getting cheaper and cheaper and doesn't last very long. I love that the old furniture has some style and workmanship as each piece was made by someone and not something. This piece has also been in the family for years which makes me love it even more.

I had to add a picture of her Christmas cactus as it is always starting to bloom at our party. It is SO beautiful and is such a huge plant. She gave me a clipping but my life is such that I gave away all my plants as I just don't have the energy to take care of one more thing. Every time I see a beautiful flowering plant, I think of her as she always has flowering plants in the house and yard. 

I absolutely LOVE the picture of Christ they have featured on her wall. It is one of my favorite pictures of Christ in the original. It is one of a kind and original so of course I LOVE it.         

She will probably not be happy I posted a messy picture of her desk but I LOVE that she uses it. Her house is always clean and the desk is just "used" and I love that. I can't tell you how many notes I have from her that were probably written at that desk! I just wanted to share these things but truly, the things I love most about the home is the people in it! "Mom" not only takes care of my dad, all of us kids, and grand kids, but her 90+ mother for many years now and they are truly a blessing in our lives. Without them, it would just be a nice house with nice pieces but because I love them, I love their home!

No comments:

Post a Comment