Friday, October 3, 2014

Three Dollar Matching Side Table

A few weeks ago, I found this cool table at a second hand store for about $3. I had lots going on so I stuck it in the corner until I could get to it. 


The reason I like it so much is that it matches my living room table that I showed you in yesterdays post. I refinished that table with black paint everywhere but the top. I wanted the top a natural color as I know they get chipped and dinged and I wanted to be able to easily refinish it when needed. 


I also like the sides and chairs painted black as I use Sharpie black markers to color in the chips and dings when needed. You can see a post about how I do that here. 
 
I was very excited when I found the table that matched and you can see the base of the table matches as well as the chair spindles. 


I had to go buy more of the "golden oak" stain as I hadn't stained anything in a few years that color and I guess I used it all as the only stain I could find was a "fruitwood" I bought over 13 years ago. 
 
I stained it tonight and you can see how well the top matches the arm of the dining room set and table top as the picture above is them next to each other. 

I masked the top with tape and newspaper so I could easily spray paint the base. 

I wish I was better at taking "pre" pictures but I always am so excited to get going on the project that I am half finished before I think about taking pictures. 
 
The top was water damaged and the varnish was peeled off and the wood in those areas was darker having been exposed to air etc. 

 


In the close up pictures, you can see it is darker in some places. I sanded it down before spray painting it yesterday as I didn't want it to get sanding dust on the new paint or risk scraping the paint so I sanded it, masked it and spray painted it yesterday. 
 
Today, I stained it and then varnished it with the go on purple, dry clear varnish shown above. 

I show the corner where it will be in the dining area and you can see the drum that will go on it in on the table. 

I also show how I cover the tables with clear thick plastic after they are finished to keep them shiny and so that no scratches or water damage will occur with the plastic on them. 

I have had that plastic on my dining table for years now and it still looks great.

You can see in the last picture that it is almost dried and clear. Just letting it harden before putting anything on it. I am so excited to have found something that matches so well for that corner as I am trying to get rid of the hospital decor that I have and move into other home decor options using my mothers instrument collection from around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment