Friday, December 14, 2018

We Had a Wicked Good Time - Kristin Chenoweth Christmas Concert

I have seen many concerts in my life. I have seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Sing Many Times in my life as well. We LOVED this Concert tonight!!!!!

I have a brother that sings in the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square also known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. My mother sang with that choir for about ten years when I was in jr high, high school and after for many years. We always enjoyed watching her sing on television.

I have a brother who followed in her footsteps and has also joined that choir for the past few years. There are some perks to having someone in the family in the choir. 

We have never been able to acquire tickets for the annual Christmas concert through the normal lottery process. The concerts are always VERY amazing and the tickets are gone within an hour or two and we were never lucky enough to get some. Even though the concerts are always free, the tickets are in high demand.

This year they decided to do something different by just letting everyone get online and try for them first come first serve. I have issues with that as my internet is super slow and being in a small rural town, the lines are slow and when many people are online trying to get tickets, I have never been able to get tickets to anything from home and have always had to call someone in a major city to order for me. 

This year, we heard that the special guest for the show was Kristin Chenoweth. My girls are musical theater focused so when they heard about her coming of course we wanted ticket. 

Princess Two and I tried for hours to get tickets until we heard they were gone. Come to find out, in order to be able to actually order the tickets, you needed to set up a special account PRIOR to that day! I had a problem as I had set up an account before with my married name and since I have gone back to my maiden name, it wouldn't allow me to combine the accounts etc. 

We didn't get any tickets for the event. I was super sad we wouldn't be able to go see her as we think she is amazing! I contacted my brother and his wife to see if they would get any tickets for the concert and asked them if they could get any, we would love some. We initially asked for Saturday night tickets but he called saying he had some for Thursday night and so I called all the girls to find out if they could make it on a school / work night. 

Funny enough, they couldn't make it on Saturday but all could go on Thursday. We had a few hiccups with driving and had to pay for three cars to park as we all had long drives to attend and didn't know where to park for free. I figured the parking fees were well worth the enjoyment of the night and we were all parked next to each other. 

Princess Two commented that if I hadn't asked to go, my sister-in-law and her son wouldn't have gone to see their dad / husband singing as she didn't want to drive in the city and walk far as it is stressful. I was able to drop them off at the corner of the event before parking. I got many of my girls to go and Princess Four brought two friends as she didn't want to drive the long distance alone. We had one extra ticket for one and we were able to get an extra ticket there and they allowed him to sit with us even thought his ticket wasn't for our area. 

I LOVED that they kept seating people until EVERY chair was full. They had people move over to allow every seat option open that wasn't taken and even several songs into the concert, they were seating people who were standing in the cold for standby tickets. 

Kristin was ADORABLE!!!! We couldn't take pictures of any of it as they make it into a PBS special every year. This concert was right up there with the "Muppets" we went to a few years ago, David Archuleta, and the King Singers which are some of my favorite all time Christmas Concerts. 




The girls were so cute all giddy that they were able to see a real Broadway star in concert. They LOVE "Wicked" and have followed Kristin's Career for many years as she is the most adorable and talented woman. She was so personable and funny. She had the conductor blushing within the first few minutes and walked through the audience visiting on her way onto the stage. She was FABULOUS! 




Kristin is famous for playing the original Glinda of "Wicked" on Broadway. If you haven't heard of her, I highly recommend watching these few videos of her singing some really cute and humorously creative songs. She is amazing and talented and has a real gift for interjecting humor into everything. 



She had us all laughing throughout. You could tell that it was her humor and not writers as it was all adlib type things. I am grateful we were able to be there on the first night as she was laughing and crying on stage at times. She said it was a dream of hers to do this and said she loved when Sandi Patty was the special guest many years ago and wanted to sing her rendition of "O Holy Night" which she did quite well.

As we were leaving, I tried to video Princess Four singing with a few members of the choir she sings in but it is fairly jumpy as we were walking to the car but you can see the joy they had coming out of the concert and I was glad to capture that even if the video is short and jumbled. 

I hope you all have a blessed and enjoyable weekend and if you get a chance to watch the concert on PBS, I highly suggest you take the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment