Friday, May 27, 2011

U2 - Kiss for the Future







My oldest Princess and I have enjoyed U2 together since she was a baby. I lived in New Zealand as an exchange student in 1983 and during that time, I learned to love U2 and their music.


The first tape I ever bought was U2 "Sunday bloody Sunday" in New Zealand. I bought a few other groups but through the years, U2 has been a favorite.


In my senior year of high school, my best friend and I flew to Denver on St. Patricks day with a local radio station and saw U2 at Mile High Stadium. That was a fun day.


This was my fourth time seeing them in concert and they never cease to amaze me. They can come up with something new and still mix in the old. It was an amazing concert and it got me thinking about how blessed I have been being able to see some amazing groups. There are many that I can't even remember who were opening acts etc but I tried to list all the concerts I have attended over the years and wish I had kept a list somewhere. Here were a few of the one's I could remember up front:


U2 four times

David Bowie

Bob Segar

*Sting

No Doubt

*The Smiths

*Garth Brooks

*Tim McGraw

*Harry Conick Jr.

*Duran Duran

The Fray

*The Beach Boys

*Reba Mcentire

*David Archuleta

Miley Cyrus

The Jonas Brothers

*Jesse McCartney

*Jimmy Eat World

Mandy Moore

Thompson Twins

Howard Jones

Tori Amos - Missed it but bought a ticket

Billy Joel

Elton John

*Sarah Mclauchlan

*REM

*James Taylor

*Hermans Hermits (Peter Noone)

*The King Singers

*Celtic Woman

*The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Huey Lewis and the News

*Styx

*Goo Goo Dolls

*Mayday Parade

*Parachute

*Kurt Bestor 

Osmond Brothers

*Amy Grant

*Michelle Branch


Every time I think I have them all, I remember another event. I wish I could remember all the opening acts but I don't even remember the head liners from the 80's.

We went to U2 with my best friend and her oldest daughter. We had such a wonderful time. I have never bought a shirt at the U2 concerts so I bought one for my daughter and I to wear and put on my t-shirt quilt. Shouldn't my favorite band be included on that quilt? I think it should.


Funny that when we saw the stage, I said, "It looks like a huge Hershey's kiss is on the top." I then read my t-shirt which said, "The future deserves a big kiss. U2 360 tour." I then realized it was a big "kiss" on the top of the stage. Click on the photo and you can see it at the top.


The lights and stage were amazing in that for the most part, everyone could see the stage. However, they did stand on one side most of the time but the surround screen moved up and down and opened and closed making it smaller or long and covering the band at times. It was really amazing and looked like something from outer space. Click on this photo and you can see how the screen opened up covering the stage.



My best friend leaned over and commented that her favorite memory of "She moves in mysterious ways" was when she visited me in Boston area and she remembered my oldest dancing in the living room singing that song. My oldest then said, I think we have video of that. I am sure we probably do have that somewhere.



I have been so blessed to see all those artists and the better part is that most were free to me. I think I will put an asterisk next to the one's that I saw for free either on a date, winning the tickets or someone giving them to me.



How blessed to have eyes to see that wonderful show and having ears to hear the music and messages portrayed through the music. I am very grateful for both.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is so many concerts!!! Some great 80's music and more! We have been playing some our our favorite 80's tunes for our kids lately. It's fun for them to imagine that we were one young like them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  3. I should probably update this list. Goo Goo Dolls, Mayday Parade, Parachute, Kurt Bestor, Osmond Brothers, Amy Grant, Michelle Branch ... TO be continued

    ReplyDelete