Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Fixing a Toysmith Classic Pin Art Black Toy - Fun Vintage Toy

For many years, I have had a Classic Pin Art toy in my living room. Currently, I have two in my Livingroom. One large one and one smaller one both in the metal. 

A few years back, one of my grandchildren dropped the smaller one when playing with it and one of the plastic corners cracked. I taped in and then last year, I found one small piece of plastic on the carpet which was worrisome as I have a grandson that put everything in his mouth last year. I taped the corners as I love the toys and they get picked up each time someone is near them. 

I decided a few weeks back that it just wasn't looking good and had put the smaller one in my "get rid of" yard sale boxes I have been collecting. I have the larger one that is intact and figured one size was fine.

I was shopping at a second hand store the other day and found a plastic pin art toy and into my head popped the idea to replace the top plastic piece that was broken with the one from the plastic toy that was $1. I purchased the plastic one for that purpose. 

I get home and can't figure out which box the pin art was in so I set aside the plastic one thinking I may have thrown away the metal one as I searched through all the yard sale boxes.

Imagine my joy when I was getting ready for Halloween, pulling out the boxes of bagged jewelry that I have for donation and in the top of one of the boxes of jewelry was the metal pin art toy! 

I was able to make a video of how I put the new top on and took some pictures that are fairly self explanatory. When taking both toys apart to exchange the broken top for the complete top, I noticed that the screws on the metal pin art toy had metal nuts and bolts and the plastic pin toy had plastic nuts and bolts and think that the metal one was the problem because even my larger pin art toy with metal nuts has some rubber nuts on the top to protect the plastic top from cracking so I think it has evolved over time to the plastic nuts and bolts. 

Either way, I was happy to have a new top on the toy and used turpentine to clean the top of the used one before putting it on the metal pinned toy. It looks great and now I have the large and smaller toy in the living room with my "I LOVE YOU" sign in sign language in it. 

I remember having one of these toys as a teenager so this is a very old, classic toy and I still find joy in playing with them, especially with my grandchildren. 

Have a Blessed and Joyful Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment