Friday, November 15, 2019

Fixing Eyes on Stuffed Animals, McDonalds Toys, And Fixing Hanging Fabrics Loops

We bought the McDonalds collectors toy ornaments each year when they were all the rage in the late 1980's and Early 1990's. They had the cutest sewn toys from the newest Disney movies and many had little voice chips in them as well. 


It was something we looked forward to getting each holiday season and then they stopped making them so adorable and started going to just hard plastic toys and they lost their charm. 


We kept the softer and nicer Disney toy ornaments and about 15 years ago, I made all our McDonalds toys into ornaments and we made a tree for a tree show and donated the tree to the local woman's shelter. I got the local McDonalds to donated a bunch of free gift cards to also adorn the tree and it was a VERY cute tree. 

Upon my request, my sister made a cute sign saying, "Every Meal Should Be A Happy Meal" and the shelter was my donation as I used the shelter when going through my divorce to get some help leaving my marriage. 

I thought I had posted about our trees we used to do yearly for the tree show, but I guess I didn't post about that. I will have to make a post on that as we did some really cute trees. 

Anyway, back to it, I went through all our decorations with the girls just over a year ago now and Princess One wanted those handful of ornaments that we kept. I visited her recently and she already has her Christmas decorations up and those ornaments are on the tree. 

She asked me if I could fix the hanging parts on two of the ornaments, as over the years, I guess being played with, those hanging parts got ripped. I was able to just sew on a ribbon on the "Oliver" ornament and able to fix the felt one that had ripped on "Dodger." I just used a similar color thread and was able to stitch the two ends together using a needle and thread. 

The eyes were really scratched up on Oliver and it looked like I fixed Dodgers eyes already and do remember doing that as I was giving some away at some point, but I think it was so hectic the weekend we did all the ornaments that it didn't get done on all of them. 

I basically just use my Sharpie Markers (if you read this blog, you know I am a Sharpieaholic) and find the one that matches the color of the eyes the closest, and then use it to fill in the scratches by dabbing it over the scratch rather than "coloring" it. I try not to color over the actual color, just fill in the scratched area. 

The Sharpie will smudge on plastic/ smooth surfaces, so don't touch it or let it touch anything else overnight or it can come off and smudge. Also, you may want to put some masking tape around the eye so that you don't accidently get it onto the fabric as it is REALLY hard to get Sharpie off fabric.

Just know that I use Sharpies for so many things that you may just want to search "Sharpie" and "Duct Tape" as I have LOTS of posts for those two products because I LOVE Sharpies and Duct Tape! 

Feel free to ask questions. You can do this on any stuffed animal or plastic toy. It works on fabric, stickers, plastic, and even wood. I made a short video showing the ornaments and how I did the ribbon and eye repairs. Have a BLESSED Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment