Monday, October 31, 2011

Kurt "BEST"or Concert - Award for Dad




Sometimes I have so many things going on that things I want to post about get pushed aside or left behind. With all the wedding plans and getting Princess number 2 off to Taiwan, I have been a busy mom. However, I was blessed to be able to support my father recently. He doesn't ask for much and doesn't often allow us to do things for him.



When his wife called and asked me if I would be able to go and support him as he was being acknowledged for his years of service for a past employer during their 50th year, I told her I would love to go. I enjoyed being there to support my dad and see him recieve this beautiful award! Thanks for all you do in my life dad!



Kurt Bestor was also doing a concert that night. I have loved his work for over 20 years now. When I lived on the East coast, I used to sell his music to distributors all over the south around Texas to the East coast. Because of the connection with my dad that evening, we had great seats.



I have never heard Kurt perform his own music "Live" before. If you remember my post about people I have seen in concert, I don't have him listed. I am glad to say that I can now add him to the list.



He wrote one of my favorite songs. "Prayer of the Children." If you search "youtube" with that title, 36,200 items come up to view. There were so many people signing it, that I couldn't choose which to put on as a link.



If you haven't heard the song, I would hate to have you listen to a bad rendition. I have heard many recorded versions of it but on "youtube" they are usually people recording it with ambient noise in a concert. So, I listened to several and picked this version which is closer to my favorite. It is sung by "Plead the Fifth."



One of the first times I heard this song was at a concert by five brothers who are called "The Standards." They sing a cappella and have been singing together for 15 years or so. They turned out all the lights so the place was black. Then, they sang this song. No visual distractions, just the song, and the feeling it brings. I was hooked.



David Archuleta has some really beautiful a cappella versions on "youtube" but the noises in the audience (camera's clicking) were so loud and his voice is only one but I love the harmonies in this song so chose the other rendition for that reason but I suggest listening to his versions as they are amazing. He is so talented.



Kurt was beyond talented. I think I have to say that I have never seen a more talented person perform in my life. He just composed on the spot. No wonder he is an Emmy award winner. Kudos to the "Best"or in concert.



It speaks for his talent when my 12 year old, Princess number five leaned over during his concert and said, "I am glad I came." She had a cold and didn't want to come and usually during concerts she is asking "When can we leave?" That says how amazing it was!



As you know if you read this blog, I go to many dance and drill team competitions. One year, we were in Vegas with hundreds of other teams. There was always noise even when teams were dancing as people leave or come in to find seats and the music is usually loud enough you wish you didn't forget ear plugs.



One dance, the little girls came out in rags. This music started similar to the rendition I linked to above. It was a cappella. Within ten seconds the huge arena was so silent that you could hear nothing but the music. Every eye was focused on the little girls in rags dancing. In all my 20 years of going to dance programs, concerts, competitions etc, I have NEVER seen that. Even concerts, I have never heard it that quiet.



I doubt there was a dry eye in the building when the little girls finished their dance.



I talked to my children later about how sometimes if you are in a position where you can't share a prayer out loud, if you choose the right song, it has more impact than a prayer. I know Michael Ballam has a talk tape where he talks of using a song as a prayer in such a situation.



One thing I didn't know before the concert was why he wrote the song. He shared his experience with us and rather than writing it, I will send you to the Wiki link where he explains why, and how he wrote it along with the lyrics.



Here is a link to his web page. He is one amazingly talented man who has given me much enjoyment through the years. I listened to his music when my eldest Princess was a baby, and I just remembered I have heard him live when my girls danced at Stadium of Fire. I also enjoyed hearing his work during the Olympics on TV. I am guessing his work has touched the lives of many who wouldn't recognize his name. Hopefully, more will now appreciate who he is and what he has given us!


Thank you Kurt for sharing your talent and time with us for the concert and through the years. Thank you DAD for all the rest in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment