Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Black Bean Soup - Thanks Princess Two


Princess number two asked if she could help make dinner this past week as I had so much going on. I told her I would LOVE her help. She asked me to pick up some sour cream and to my horror, I left it and some veggie/fruit trays in the trunk for a day. Off to get more sour cream....


I let her do her thing and she made the most wonderful soup. She got the recipe off a can of tomatoes of all places. I wasn't sure I was excited about eating it at first but after one bite, I was hooked. It was really good. I liked that it had red peppers in it but they weren't cooked until they were soft. They are still crunchy which gave it a great texture.


Black Bean Soup


1 1/2 cups onion chopped

1 tbs olive oil

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

1 - 14.5 ounce can of tomatoes

1 tablespoon crushed garlic or 4 cloves crushed

1 - 4 ounce can of diced green chilies drained

or

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper from jar

1 1/2 tsp ground dry cumin
1 - 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth (or bullion cubes in warm water)
4 - 15 ounce cans of black beans drained and rinsed

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Sour cream or grated cheese is optional


1. Heat oil in large deep pan and saute onions, peppers and garlic until tender.

2. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for ten minutes.

3. Serve with a drop of sour cream if desired.


My family loved it and there wasn't much left as we all had 2 bowls at least. The second day, it tasted a bit more like chili because of the sour cream and some of the liquid thickened. It was very good. I highly recommend it and it wasn't much work because we substituted already crushed garlic and hot red pepper and used onions I had frozen already chopped.




This is a quick meal if you need something good in 15 minutes or less, this would be the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment