Friday, October 1, 2010

Boutineer For The Dance

My daughter went to Homecoming dance this week as her first date. Trying to be frugal, I decided to make the boutineer. I watched my mom make one for my first date and figured it couldn't be that hard. I went to Wal-Mart and lucked out as they had three roses at half price in the color I needed. I already had floral tape and I always keep the pins from corsages so I had plenty of those handy.


I took the most tight rose bud, cut it off about an inch down from the base of the flower. I took one of the leaves off the rose stem and placed it behind the rosebud. If there are any dark leaves, loose or damaged leaves on the outside, you can pull those off. I then took a piece of the fern type leaves that they always sell with roses. If you have baby's breath, you can add a sprig of that near the bottom. I then started wrapping the floral tape around the stems of all three until it reached the base of the rose bud itself. Then, turn and go back down ending the tape at the back so it doesn't show in the front.


If you moisten some paper towels and wrap the boutineer in them, it will remain wonderful even up to a day without wilting much. The same goes for corsages.
Wal-Mart here sells corsage kits with all the items needed to make your own for just over $4. If you already have ribbon, all you need is flowers and floral tape. Floral tape is sold in craft stores. It comes in many colors. I have burgundy, brown, white, pink and several shades of green. Try it out with flowers from home! Save even more!
Try making your own and saving some money. This is how to make a boutineer!

No comments:

Post a Comment