Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Puzzle Fun for All Ages - Part 1

Several years ago I came up with an idea to put magnets on the back of puzzles so you can do them and then store them when not in use half done. The first one I did, I took a child's puzzle to experiment with as it has large pieces and not many jig-saw pieces.


My oldest daughter collected "Wizard of Oz" stuff so I got one of her puzzles. I bought some sheet magnet paper which is sticky on one side. You have to put each piece of the puzzle on individually because if you stick the done puzzle on, there is no way to cut the magnet around the pieces. So, put the puzzle pieces on the sticky magnet paper as close together as you can but still able to get a pair of scissors between. Then, put in a good movie, get a small detailed pair of scissors with a sharp tip and get to cutting.


I tried using a razor/scalpel but it didn't do the round pieces well. As you can see from the back of the puzzle piece, it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as most of the back is covered, the piece will be even with the rest, not raising up or dipping down on one side.


The magnetic sheets can be purchased at a craft store but a few times I have found them at the local dollar store in the craft section. When I see them there, I stock up. I have used them for many things. With the sticky side, it makes it very easy to use. If you can't find one with sticky on one side, purchase double sided tape and use that to stick the pieces on to the magnet sheet. If you have some old magnet calenders or adds from companies, you can peel off their add and use glue to glue your pieces on and save some money that way.


Once you cut all your pieces, you can keep them in the original box. However, since it is a kids puzzle, I put them in a Ziploc bag and keep them in the bottom drawer in my kitchen so when I am babysitting, I pull it out and let the kids play. It is funny, when my older kids come home and the pieces are still on the fridge, they will do the puzzle. It is fun for all ages.


A puzzle a day........

No comments:

Post a Comment