Thursday, October 7, 2010

Easy Paint Touch Ups

I have loved painting my home different colors over the years. When I was married, my spouse was worried about resale (not that we planned to move) but he read somewhere that white walls sell better when you are planning on selling so we could never paint any color on walls or doors for that reason.


Since becoming single over the past 8 plus years, I have really enjoyed painting the walls many different colors and textures. However, with kids, dings, scrapes and chips will happen. Every year or so I would pull out the paint cans denting lids trying to get them open and then having a hard time getting them closed again when I wanted to do some touch up painting.


After I had so many colors on the wall, the dings would show up very clearly so it needed to be done more often to keep it looking nice. So, a few years ago, I started pouring a small amount of paint into film containers so I could have them handy for quick touch up jobs. When we stopped using film, I went to other small containers. Some from Play Dough or small Tupperware containers. (You all know how much I love Tupperware!)




I then use a Sharpie (by now, you know I love Sharpies also!)to label the container and I keep them all handy so that when we get a ding, I can quickly pull out the container to fix it right then. I also use a rubber glove to do the touch up. If I used a brush, it would leave brush marks so I just dip in a gloved finger and cover the chip and smooth the edges with the finger. It is quick and easy with no mess.



I have also used black Sharpies for years on dings on my black furniture and on my black shoes to fill in the chips or scratches. I laughed when my friend called and told me to watch "Pretty Woman" on TV because she thought of me when she saw Julia Roberts using a marker on her boots at the beginning of the movie. That was so me!


I have also used colored marker on furniture that has stain on it and has gotten scratched or chipped. I have also used them on walls that have chipped but I have no paint left in that color. I bought a marker set with about 30 colors and I find the color or mix colors to match the color I need to patch the chip or scratch. It has worked wonders for years. Today I spent time filling in my black benches at the table which often get scratched along with a few spots on my desk.


Not a life changing post but one that may make keeping your home pleasant and easier to manage!



Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment