Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade Pesto detox

A few years ago, we got some biting mites from a birds nest in the attic or some mulch we got from the fair grounds. Either way, we had lots of pesticides sprayed in our home for the year it took us to finally rid ourselves of the little pests.


I was worried about the effect of the pesticides on my family so I did some research. I found this pesto recipe on a pesticide page of all places. Who would have thought it would become one of our favorites for lunch?


CORIANDER PESTO
4 cloves garlic (I use the already chopped in a jar)
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh coriander (cilantro, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 teaspoons dulse powder liquid aminos (Bragg's)


Process the coriander and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a squirt of Bragg's to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so you can purchase coriander in season and fill enough containers to last through the year.


Coriander has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is reportedly a powerful tissue cleanser. Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. You can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year.


My favorite way to eat the pesto is in a wrap. I add whatever veggie I have on hand. I like it best with fresh tomato, avocado (which increases the amount of absorption), and cucumber, all in a tortilla with salt and pepper to taste.


I can even get my kids to eat this. I have used other types of parsley when I can't get Cilantro and it is good but probably doesn't have the same health effect.


I freeze each batch I make in my little Oster kitchen mixer in a Tupperware container and label it for the freezer. It lasts well and I like that I can take it frozen in a cooler for lunch and it will be thawed but still cool even when away from home. It is easy to make a wrap for a picnic, keeping your meals away from home healthy.


Enjoy the taste and the health you get while eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment