Thursday, September 30, 2010

Homecoming Bolero Jacket

My daughter wanted to be comfortable in her homecoming dress. It had thin straps and she knew she wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it without something over it. So, I told her I would make a bolero jacket to wear over the dress.


I went to a friends (Thank you Donna!) who had a bolero jacket and made a pattern using some old craft painting paper. I placed the jacket down on the paper and traced 1/4 inch around it on the paper. The jacket is lined so I cut out two of everything including the back.


Following the pattern of the jacket, I sewed it after cutting it out on cotton fabric I already owned. I then used the see through pieces I had pulled out of the side of the dress during alteration and sewed them on as a cap sleeve to help the jacket match the dress. You could just put similar jewels or sequins on so it could be used with any dress.


I did have to take it in a bit after sewing it as the original bolero was a bit big.


So, we added a few bling pieces of jewelry and she decided rather than the beautiful but painful pumps we bought to match it, that she would rather wear her silver sequin converse to the dance to be comfortable. Rather than taking a purse to keep her cell phone handy, she wore knee high socks so she could feel it ring and keep it safe.


After taking back the pumps, all in all, the whole thing cost us $15 and my sweetie was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment