Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Coriander - Easy to Grow and Use

I wrote a post yesterday about the pesto I make. It is a good detox. We make it because it tastes good. A few months ago I felt like I should look into Coriander. At that time, I bought some from the cooking isle. I made it into a tea with barley. I boiled them both in a pot and drank the tea throughout the day.


At the time I was feeling really sluggish and my lymph's were sore. I haven't been taking it like I felt I should but sometimes will just chew on a few of the seeds when I forget to make the tea.


I bought some cilantro and planted it. Cilantro when it goes to seed, creates Coriander. I harvested the coriander today. You just let the cilantro go to seed and let the stalks and leaves dry up.


When they are dry, as in top photo above, you pull off the seeds with your hands. Blow off the leaves and you have coriander. I paid over $5 for the bottle in the photo. I harvested about that much for nothing as we used the cilantro in cooking and the coriander is just a wonderful addition. I will let it dry for a few days just to make sure it is dry and then bottle it for use this winter in my tea.


Barley boiled is a great source of calcium for those who are allergic to dairy. Drink the tea once you have boiled the barley for a few minutes.

Dry coriander treats diarrhea. Coriander seeds are known to alleviate excessive menstrual flow. Used as an eye-wash, freshly dried coriander is excellent in treating conjunctivitis. It relieves burning and reduces pain and swelling.

Topically, a teaspoon of coriander juice, mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder, is an effective remedy for pimples, blackheads and dry skin. The mixture should be applied to the face, after washing it thoroughly, every night before going to bed.

I also learned, in addition, the drinking of coriander water helps lower blood cholesterol. The leaves act as stimulants and tonics. They strengthen the stomach and promote digestion, increase secretion and discharge of urine and reduce fever. They act as an aphrodisiac, and help in the removal of phlegm. Coriander seeds reduce fever, and offer a feeling of coolness. The juice of coriander is beneficial in producing vitamin A, B1, B2, C and iron.
So, there you have it. It may be something you want in your first aid kit as well as your spice rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment