Thursday, October 14, 2010

An Apple a Day - Drying Apples

I have been dehydrating food for 20 years. One of my favorite things dried is apples. I have several wonderful apple trees. NOTHING goes to waste that grows on my trees. I never spray the apples. I don't want to worry about pesticides. About half of my apples have worm holes.


Worm holes have never been an issue for me. I have gone through several apple/corer/peelers over the years. They are sooooooo handy. Once you have used one, you will never go back. I have several hand cutters for eating apples with peanut butter but when you want a quick snack with no work, this is the method for you.


Just line up the core on the three prongs sticking out of the winder. Start turning. The apple then starts to be peeled and cored. I have a bucket that we keep under the sink for our mulch. One dehydrator batch and the bucket is full.


Once the apple has been cored and peeled, I take it in my hand and run a knife down the right and left of any worm holes cutting out the rotten part of the apple. I then wash the apple and place them in rings on the dehydration trays to dry. Apples usually take about 24 hours to dry. Sometimes less depending on your dehydrator.
One year I kept the peels and cores separate from the bug stuff and made apples sauce using the peels and cores. It tasted fine but for the work, I would rather stick with my dried fruit. I used to bottle and freeze much of my fruit. I have found over the years, that my family would eat buckets full of dried fruit and I would be embarrassed to tell you how old some of the jars of fruit are that I still have. We just prefer the taste, texture and food value of dried over bottled or frozen any day. Dried fruit can be used in more ways than frozen fruit as once frozen it goes very mushy. The same goes for bottled fruit.


I get people asking me yearly for my dried apples for Christmas, birthdays etc. You can sprinkle them with Cinnamon or a glaze but I think they are best and sweetest without anything on them. My kids will eat many apples a day if I leave the corer on the counter. If I just leave a bowl of apples, they usually don't eat any. If you want to get your picky kids to eat apples, let them use the corer. My 11 year old still thinks it is "cool" to use.


Happy Harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment