Thursday, October 21, 2010

Brownie with Easy Flavored Toppings


I tried something I have never done before and I haven't heard of anyone I know trying it. My sister makes wonderful mint brownies but I am not big on making the mint frosting that goes on top. I am lazy that way. So, today, I thought I would make mint brownies and use mint flavored chips for the top instead.


When I make my toffee, I put the chocolate chips on right after I take it out of the oven and just let the heat from the toffee melt the chips. I thought I would try that with the brownies. Since I have a few kids that have wheat and dairy allergies, I try to use the gluten free mixes or recipes as often as possible. I had never tried the gluten free brownies before. So, I made gluten free brownies.


The batter looked and had a similar texture to other brownie mixes I have used. The kids fought for the mixer beaters and enjoyed those and had no idea I was using anything other than the normal mixes I use. None said anything about it tasting different. It did bake up a bit more moist than other brownies but perhaps I didn't let it bake long enough. It did bake for the full time.


Not sure how my experiment would work, I sprinkled some mixed chips on one side of the brownies to see how they would work baked. After baking it, I pulled it out of the oven and sprinkled it with chocolate chips of different flavors and let them melt for a few minutes and then spread them with a fork.


Since some of my kids like nuts and others don't, I crossed a small section with crushed walnuts making a checkerboard pattern so it would look like I made several tray of different brownies.


I let them cool, cut them up and put them on plates. Each child has a different party this weekend where they were supposed to take treats. Since these brownies taste so wonderful, I doubt anyone would guess they are gluten free.


I think I have a new treat that is quick and easy that the kids can even make. If I had waited until the chocolate was actually cooled and hardened, I think that it would have help with the cutting of the pieces making them more uniform. I am definitely going to make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment