Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Roasting Pumpkin and Squash Seeds

I love fall. The harvest keeping me busy, cleaning up the yard for winter, and looking forward to the holidays coming make it wonderful. Part of the fun is roasting pumpkin and squash seeds.


Since I was a small girl, I remember my mother roasting our pumpkin seeds. I have always enjoyed them. For those of you who have never done it, here is an easy step by step for you.


Scoop out the mush and seeds from the center of the squash or pumpkin so it looks something like this. You can roast the squash in so many ways. I usually wrap it in foil but this banana squash was so large I just roasted them right on the rack and it turned out well.


Once you have the mush and seeds, I like putting it into a colander or a bowl so I can add water. The water removes the mushy stuff while you squish the seeds out. I keep the mushy stuff for mulch in my garden and keep a gallon ice cream bucket under my sink for that type of thing. It usually gets dumped once a day or more during harvest and dehydrating times.


Once there are no more strings attached to the seeds, I dump them on a dehydrator tray or dry them on paper towels and then put them on a cookie sheet. I sometimes salt them. Other times, I will put garlic salt or onion salt on them. My favorite salt is "Real Salt" from Redmond Utah. It is mined from an underground mine and has minerals in it. They actually sell flavored salts such as garlic also.


I let them dry overnight on the dehydrator tray or I set the oven on about 200 degrees and put the cookie sheet in for about an hour. I move them around making sure they are drying. You can roast them at a higher temp for shorter amounts of time but you need to watch them closely so they don't burn.


Once dry, I run them through my fingers getting the dried skin off which is somewhat like a dried egg white. I blow gently on the seeds and the skins blow off into the sink or outside depending on where I do it.


I bag them if we will be eating them soon and they don't usually last long. When I have huge amounts, I put them in my trusty Tupperware. I have some from awhile ago and they taste fresh. I appreciate whoever invented Tupperware, my guess is I need to thank Tupper!


Happy Harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment