Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Veggie and Black Bean Salsa

My sister makes a black bean salsa that I often enjoy. I called and got her recipe but had so many other vegetable around from my garden and several generous neighbors that I started throwing all sorts of fun things in and WOW did it come out amazing! I needed to blog about it just so I could have the recipe. I shared it with the two neighbors that gave me veggies and a few others as it made a large Tupperware bowl full.


Vegetable and Black Bean Salsa or Salad


INGREDIENTS
· 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
· 1/2 cup olive oil (I tried it with and without and didn't notice a difference)
· 1 clove garlic, minced (I used crushed garlic from WalMart)
· 1 teaspoon salt (Used Real Salt from Redmond, UT)
· 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (Depends on the btu's of the cayenne
, be careful and just add a dash and taste)
· 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels (I cut mine off the cob fresh)
· 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced (used 2)
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped (actually used a hot pepper from my garden minced)
· 2 tomatoes, chopped (Used more for a salsa feel)
· 6 green onions, thinly sliced (used dehydrated chives and fresh onion)
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional but I used fresh in one batch and dried in another and both were good)
· Any garden vegetable cut into small pieces, I used summer squash, two types of cucumber, zucchini, and I think chopped olives would have been good in place of the olive oil.


DIRECTIONS
1.Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pe
pper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
2.In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, other vegetables and cilantro.



Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.


Serve with chips of any kind. Tomorrow, I will blog these wonderful homemade tortilla corn chips.


This was a wonderful way to enjoy fresh garden vegetable raw and enjoy the harvest as well as sharing with friends.

1 comment: