Monday, August 9, 2010

Home, Home on the Range.... Campfire cooking


This last week we went camping. There were lots of adventures and several things I wanted to blog about. Last summer at this time, we went to a different camping spot. One thing I liked much better at the other camp site was the fire pits.

This year, they were flush with the ground and my nephew didn't see it and put his hand on the grate used to cook. His burns were deep and blistered quickly. Last year the fire pits were raised. It was the first time I ever cooked on the actual fire.

I usually take my trailer. Because of the distance, I didn't want to haul it. So, cooking over the fire it was. I couldn't believe how well everything turned out. I thought things would burn. Nothing burned and everyone enjoyed the meal.

The hash browns are from a bulk food co-op. They are from the Ore-Ida company. They come in large bags. The potatoes come shredded and dried and you just soak them in hot water for about 1-2 minutes and then fry them up. It couldn't be any easier and I get compliments each time I make them as the flavor is wonderful. When I get the large bag, I dump them in to several 5 gallon buckets and then have a smaller Tupperware container in the house that I refill as needed. I highly recommend them for the crazy morning routines. I can make them almost as quickly as I can fry up some eggs.

If we cook up too many hash browns, we put the left overs into a bag and freeze them. They reheat quickly. If we think we will be eating them soon, we put them in a bag in the fridge.

Why don't you join us on the "range?"

No comments:

Post a Comment