Friday, August 13, 2010

Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch


I was at a women's meeting for my church a few months ago and someone made this recipe using Frito's and another made it using cereal. Over the past few months, I have made this with most anything in the cupboard. It has never gone uneaten.



I had some amaranth organic cereal that wasn't getting eaten. I had some whole wheat crackers that the kids didn't like. I have children that don't like nuts and I try to get them to eat them.



I used this recipe and put the crackers in in small chunks, mixed in marshmallows, almonds, pecans, cashews, several types of cereal, pretzels were a favorite and Frito's are still a must.


Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 bag Frito's or pretzels etc
Other toppings: nuts, cereal, marshmallows, chocolate, m & m’s etc

Bring brown sugar and corn syrup to a boil stirring until mixed well. Take off the heat and add peanut butter and mix well. Pour all the “mix in’s” onto a cookie sheet or in a bowl. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the “mix in’s” and mix well. I find using a spatula helps scrape the mixture off the bottom until it is really mixed, otherwise the caramel sticks to the bottom. If you add marshmallows or chocolate chips, they will melt if added at first. If you want them to hold thier shape, stir all the "mix in's" together and let the caramel cool for a few minutes and then stir in the meltable items. Spread on a cookie sheet and let cool. Pour into an airtight container to store.



I hate to say how much of this I have eaten in the past two months. We took it camping, to the lake, to the condo etc. My favorite is that it is only 5 minutes from start to finish and is so good.


If you or someone you love has a thing for peanut butter, this is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment