Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Worst Storm For Trees I've Ever Seen

I was up working on lots of different projects in the night. I went out to take some things to the trash about 2 a.m. and it had been raining. 

The lights had been flickering in several spots in the house and I worried that maybe some water had gotten into the attic and something was wrong with the wiring as that had never happened before. I also was startled by cracking and things falling sounds worried that once again it was wood with water in the attic or something. 

I had no idea as to what was happening outside as I thought it was just raining. In the morning, I looked out the kitchen window and was shocked! The big tree outside in my back yard whose lowest branch is higher than me standing with my arms outstretched, had branches drooping to the ground! 

I guess after I went out and saw the rain, it started snowing on the rain and sleet, ice, and snow stuck to all the tree branches and pulled them all down to the ground! 

I guess the creaking and the wood breaking sounds were really my tree branches breaking with the weight. Also, the power surges were obviously from the power lines freezing or getting hit by breaking branches or cars going off the road. There were LOTS of sirens around town for much of the morning so my guess is there were broken lines or branches down on homes. 

I made a video as you wouldn't believe how low the branches were. I also can't believe how early in the season it snowed. The whole thing was so out of the norm. I have never seen a storm like this in the 25 years we have lived here. 

I remember one other early storm but it was just heavy snow, not the ice that breaks the branches. I just went out with a broom and pushed the snow off the trees, but it was frozen on the leaves today. 

I remember a storm like that when I was about 17 just before Halloween when I was young. I really just don't know how this storm is going to affect the trees and yard plants as it is a bit unprecedented. I know many snapped off, so I will have to clean those up when it gets a bit warmer. 

Most of the ice and snow melted off today which is nice. I am not ready for winter! 

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. I’m glad u listened to the still small voice and trimmed the trees. It’s a gift to see the benefits of someone who took heed. Good job, way to go...the damage that could have been done but wasn’t bc of you hearing that “still small voice.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I know I was blessed because I did prune the tree. I was out cutting down the branches for hours today, and was just so grateful that I didn't have any damage, just lots of work. ha ha
      Have a blessed day!

      Delete