Friday, May 3, 2019

It's Apples and Oranges - Food Bank Service

This past week I did something I haven't done in six months or more and used to do on a regular basis. 

I was at a food bank board meeting last week and they told me that they knew they would be getting a few pallets of apples this week and I could probably take and distribute them to neighbors as I used to do on a regular basis. 

They get large overages sometimes on things and being in a small town, we could never distribute it all before they go bad. I contacted them this week and they told me they not only got several pallets of apple cases, but they also got several pallets of orange cases. 

I loaded up my car four times with just under 80 cases of fruit and distributed them for two days to friends, neighbors, family, new neighbors and just some people that came to my mind to call. 

It is amazing how may hours it takes to give away fruit. It took hours driving it around town as I would have to call, text, or run to the door and sometimes people weren't home and I had to drop it at their door. I delivered all of them as I didn't dare take it home and see if people would pick it up as I don't have room or need any of the fruit as I have a fridge full of fruit currently and so I just did it so that the fruit didn't go to waste and knowing it could help people. 

I am always sad when the food doesn't get distributed and it goes bad and goes to 
waste. I had lots of people thank me for dropping it off and it was a good workout as I worked in my yard both days as well. My neck, back and shoulders are a bit sore as those apple cases are HEAVY! 

On my last trip, I was able to get some donated Easter Baskets for my neighbors family and loaded them up with two cases each of the apples and oranges as they have 8 kids. I bet they enjoyed getting those baskets. Their mom was thrilled when I shared that they sent baskets for her kids. 

I am SO grateful for the food bank and being able to serve on the board for so many years. I think I am the longest standing worker / board member now. It has been such a blessing to my family and my church congregation and friends. There have been many times when the freezer went out or they had overages that I have been able to distribute the food. 

It was interesting to see that my congregation has donated the most food during the annual scout drive for the past two years now and I believe it is because they have become aware of the food bank due to my sharing overages with them. Before I got divorced, I didn't even know we had a food bank in our community. I was trying to purchase expired produce from a local store as I love salads and they told me they donated to the food bank. The rest is history! 

It is truly a blessing in the lives of SO many, and I am grateful for the work that it does in the community. I donated a TV and a bag of clothes this week as they give away the clothes and household items for free as well. It has probably answered the prayers of MANY people other than just me. 

Consider volunteering at your local food bank or pantry. The blessings flow both ways when we serve. Have a BLESSED and FOOD filled Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment