Friday, May 24, 2019

Refinishing and Fixing Up A Leather Treasure Chest / Box

I shared yesterday about how I got this cool vintage looking leather treasure box. 

I spent some time today fixing it up. I cleaned the leather, wood and interior of the box using totally awesome cleaner from the local dollar store. I then used Sharpies to fix scratches on the leather and wood sections. By using a similar color marker to the leather, I used the Sharpie to fill the scratches and then used my finger to smooth it out and blend it in. 


I used Elmer's Glue and super glue to fix any tares and glue back a strap. I let that sit overnight and then used the tacks to strengthen the straps. 



I used upholstery tacks that were brass to replace lost ones but they were a bit long and came through the top. I used a Dremel cutting disc to cut down the stem on the upholstery tacks. They were brass in color and then I used spray paint on the tip of a rubber glove to finger paint the tops of the brass upholstery tacks to make them match the color of the original tacks. 

I used packing tape wrapped around my fingers in a loop with the sticky side out to clean the inside of the box of any lint, dust, or dirt. 

I made a video of the process and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment