Thursday, May 2, 2019

Fixing a Loose Fitting Funny Pipe Fixture on Lawn Sprinkler Using a Rubber Glove

I mowed my lawn for the second time this season, and finally turned on the front sprinklers today. I checked out each drip system and sprinkler to make sure I didn't have any leaks. 


Last year, I had several problems with some "funny pipe" I purchased being a bit big for the fittings that go in them, and the fittings keep popping off the funny pipe and flooding the yard. I had a problems several times in two different spots. 

I am not sure why the funny pipe and fittings are different sizes but I take what I can get being in a small town. Today, the same spot I have fixed several times, leaked again and even after cutting off some of the funny pipe and reinserting that fitting, and even trying another fitting, the fitting kept coming out of the pipe. I had tried Teflon plumbers tape on the fitting end last year and that didn't hold obviously as I was having this problem again. 
I almost jumped into the car and ran to the hardware stores in town trying to find some pipe or fitting that would fix my problem but pondered on it a bit more and came up with this fix. 

I cut the fingers off a rubber glove and put three layers of rubber glove onto the funny pipe end of the fitting and then inserted it into the funny pipe and guess what? It held really well! I had to dig up some dirt in the nearby field to get the area level again with all the dirt that has washed away with all the pressured water flowing in the area, but I am super thrilled that the rubber glove trick worked! 

I was able to put everything back tonight and hopefully will be able to mow and check the back sprinklers tomorrow. It seems like I have more and more yardwork each year, but I know it is just me being busy doing other things and being tired. I really do enjoy getting the yard looking beautiful. 

I made a video to show how I did that. It was near dusk and the color is a bit dark but you will get the point. I love getting inspiration on how to fix thing. I am blessed to have parents that taught me to think outside the box. It has been a blessing to me. 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment