Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hair For Homecoming - Ribbon Ironing Using Flat Iron / Straightener

Having five daughters, we have gone through many bows over the years and have needed about one in every color at one point or another. 

I used this trick years ago and assumed that everyone would think of it but I now know I am not the same as others so I should just post videos on all the little things I do and perhaps someone can get something out of it. 


I asked Princess Five what she wanted to do with her hair for homecoming and she said she wanted two waterfall braids on the front sides brought to the back in a "half up" and the rest of her hair straight. 
 
I was kind of glad she didn't want it curled as she was on her date most of the day and by the time she arrived home, we didn't have lots of time to do much. 


I hadn't done a waterfall braid in some time and it took me a minute to get into the rhythm of it as it is similar to a french braid but you drop the middle section and pick up more like you would for a french braid and go from there leaving the one section hanging down. 
 
There are LOTS of tutorials on youtube for the braid so I didn't want to try and do one as I am the only one here so I can't braid and video at the same time. I also don't edit my videos as you can tell if you watch any of my videos. It is me talking about how I do things in one take. 


Perhaps someday, I will have a newer computer and editing software but for some reason my computer when they added all the memory and extras, they never "worked" right with the editing software and to this day, I haven't been able to burn a dvd on my machine. 

It is sad since they gave me the HD burner but when the guy installed it, I think he left a driver off or something so I don't have the ability to make videos. 

I need to get back on subject... I tend to get side tracked lately but I will just blame it on the mind fog parasite! ha ha.

Anyway, when I get ribbons on things or have a little left from crafting or something, I wind them on little cards and put them in the "odd ribbons" drawer in my craft room so that when any of the girls need a ribbon to match a dress or outfit, we can just go look in that drawer for the color we need. 
 
Then, we can use the curling iron to either curl the ribbon, or the straightener to iron it flat. Both ways look cute and as you can see in the top picture, the ribbon looks cute. 

I did forget to take a picture of the final ribbon as once you have the ribbon tied in the hair, you can put the ends together and cut them at the same time to get them both at the same angle so that the ribbon has some symmetry. This will also take any fray off the ribbon.

I show in the pictures, but not the video how I do this. It works for wrapping ribbon as well as hair ribbons or ribbons for tying on outfits etc. 
 
Here is another way to make a bow from ribbon for their hair. I made a bow for Princess Four for her prom a few years ago. You can see it in this post here. It is just a simple ribbon but ties the hair in with the dress and stands out. I thought it looked great in both cases but after you use it once, the knot will leave marks. 
 
You can just "iron" it again and the only issue is if you have "gunk" on your iron from hair spray. It may leave a black mark on your ribbon so you need to clean off the iron before doing it so you don't stain your ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment