Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Venting the Refrigerator on the Trailer Roof


I have a problem with my fridge and freezer while camping. It would get cold and stay cold during the night and morning but afternoon, it would start melting and not stay cold. I kept thinking something was wrong but when I went to the trailer store and asked the repair men about it, he said it wasn't venting properly. 

I opened the side vents and tried to see if there was anything that needed to be cleaned out. I couldn't find anything. 

Today, while I was on the trailer roof, I noticed that the wall paper from inside the trailer had come off with the weather over the years and fallen down over the metal "coils" of the fridge vent and I think that is why my fridge hasn't worked when it is hot. 

I realized that I needed to clean that thing up. I pulled up the metal screen covering the vent and used thumb tacks to tack the wall paper back in the wall. I would have pulled the wall paper out but I didn't want it to allow the wall paper to pull off the wall inside. 

I also pulled out some leaves and bugs that had gotten in under the screen where the solar panel wires come up through. Once that was cleaned up, I pulled the wire back and put screws in the edges using some thin wire to loop it around the screws to secure it better. I am not sure why they didn't secure it back down after they put the wires through it but I fixed it so that no more bugs or leaves should get down there. 

I am glad that I figured it out as it is nice to have the freezer working while camping so we can have icee pops and regular food in the fridge as well. 

There are so many things to fix on trailers but I am hoping with this overhaul I am doing that I won't have to do much in the next few years on it. Perhaps by the time it needs much more work, I won't need it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment