Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Beware of the Traveling Salesman


 Three years ago, I got a notice similar to this one, (actually it is the same but with a different date) saying they were selling new Necchi sewing machines.

I had a Singer machine for years and it was having some tension issues and I was looking for a stronger machine as I have had issues sewing through thicker material on that machine. 

The advertisement sounded good so I went and was impressed when the man sewed through a piece of thin wood. I thought this was great as I would be able to sew through jeans and my t-shirt quilts etc. 

I bought the upgraded machine. They get you there with the ad price of $199 but when you get there, they have two machines. One is the regular one with a few stitches and a smaller motor for the price of $199 and then they show you the upgraded machine with the stronger motor and all the decorative stitches which is $300. 

BUT, for an additional $29 blah blah blah, you can buy some other attachments. So, they got me sucked in to purchase the more expensive machine with all the attachments and I walked out with a lighter wallet and a smile thinking things would be great. 

I open my box and set up my machine and had a problem winding a bobbin. I couldn't. I also couldn't sew through thick things because when I tried to, the switch on the end that switches to the bobbin winder would pop off and I couldn't sew. 

I called the number in the box and the man on the other end told me that it was just a small part in the winder end that was put in wrong when they put the machine together. So, he told me what to do and I did it and it still didn't work. 

Stuff happened and then I just kept sewing with it and would use the other machine to wind bobbins. That was frustrating because I would have to always have two machines out. 

So, in April, I got a new advertisement saying the Necchi salesman was coming back to our town. I hauled the machine to K-mart and he had just sold one to a woman and had two asking questions. 

I didn't want to be rude and interrupt his sales but he insisted I talk to him. I tell him that I can't wind bobbins for the past three years and he tells me that it is an easy fix. Well, he works on trying to fix it and  twenty minutes later tells me it is going to be a bigger problem than he thought. He asked if he could keep it for a few hours. I get a call from him saying that he thinks the parts were welded together. He asked if he could take it with him back to the sewing center. There is a 25 year "Limited" warranty but I should have had to pay for shipping but they said they would help me and take it back with them. 

However, I lost my zig-zag foot taking it in and was frustrated that I lost it and that I haven't had a working machine for three years. 

A month later, I get a box in the mail. I am happy to have a machine back but I asked the man if he would give me a new $9 foot since I lost mine due to the fact that the machine was broken and I had to take it back in and deal with it all. He laughed and me and told me "no."

So, I lift the box to open it and and I can feel it shifting around in the box. I KNOW that it isn't good and was VERY unhappy knowing that my machine had been thrown around during shipping. This video is what I found upon opening the box from the "repair Warranty" place.  

The machine was damaged due to crappy packing on their part. 

I called the company and he said someone would pick it up in a day or two. 

We tripped over the broken machine for over two weeks sitting by the front door. I called the company three times or more asking them what was going on. I guess UPS didn't want to pay for the return and "warranty" on the shipping as the sewing company didn't pay for full insurance but just the part that was broken or something so I got no calls explaining why I was tripping over the machine for weeks until I got frustrated and called. 

Finally, UPS picks up the machine and a few more weeks go by and I get no information that they got it, what was wrong, or when I would have it back. 

I called again and got a return call (They never answer the phone) saying they had fixed it and it would be back to me soon.

When I got it, it was packed in original Styrofoam packing and it was with this form. The form stated that UPS damaged the machine. I felt like contacting UPS and telling them that it was the machine place the didn't package the machine properly and that is why it was broken. 

After all the hassle and problems I thought that they may send me a new foot for good measure. Guess what? 

No new foot, and when I wanted to sew through a thicker fabric.... the side twist thing went loose and I had to really tighten it and hold it just like I did right from the beginning. 

When Princess Two was cleaning out my car the other day, she found the foot to the machine under my seat. That saved me $9 or so. 

Let me tell you that the Necchi has a good motor if it worked! I had a broken machine on the day I bought it and still have a damaged machine and I spent over $300 and it has been three years of nightmares with it. 

The foot falls off as they have a release right behind the foot and if you lift up the fabric it hits the release for the foot and it continually falls off. I would much rather have the screw on feet for a machine. 

I am sure there are people out there that really love their Necchi machines but let me tell you I would NEVER recommend one to anyone. 

Sad that they couldn't even give me a free part for less than $10 as a way to help me feel better about that nightmare three years with their machine. 

I would suggest you save up and buy one of the better machines that are a bit more expensive but get good reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment