Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Holders for the Invitation - Glue Comparison


 My youngest sisters oldest daughter is getting married. This is my sisters first wedding and she is extremely excited but is doing EVERYTHING herself. I continue to ask her what I can do to help and she has allowed me to donated lots of things but hasn't been sure what I could help with. The other day, I talked her into bringing over stuff for the invitations so we could help. 

She had already scored, cut and embossed the main parts of the "holders" as well as chalking the edges. The mother of the groom happens to live three houses away from me. She had the stamped circles and cut the circles and cut some of the blue surrounding circles. She also cut the brown paper (looks like a paper bag) for the "wrap" on the "Wrap" and my sister had cut the white yarn fiber that wraps around it twice along with lots of strips of lace that go over the brown paper but under the fiber. 

Princess five helped cut more of the lace and the mother of the groom spent the night gluing the stamped cream letter circle onto the blue decorative punched circle. While my sister and I bent the scoring and glued the back onto the "Holder" and then glued the brown paper wrap on the holder. 

Then my brother-in-law and nephew came over and punched more stamped letters circles and more of the blue decorative circles. My sister and I worked until 2 a.m. and the grooms mom finally finished gluing the circles at 1 a.m. while my brother-in-law took the other kids home about midnight. 

So, at two we had finished our gluing the brown paper over and I went to bed. 

Today, I started about 2 p.m. and worked until 1 a.m. with about an hour combined for eating and drink breaks. In those ten hours, I glued ribbon, fibers and the lettered circles on 200 of the 600 "holders" which will slide over the actual picture and invitation. 

I can't begin to calculate the hours that will go into the invitations. Thirty hours just to glue the ribbon on the holders alone. 

Mind you, it is her big day and I love her and what mother wouldn't do that for their child as my sister has spent countless hours already on the bouquet, and cutting,chalking and scoring the invitations. She has also laid 5,000 square feet of sod, landscaped the back and front yard, painted the back garage, collected old doors and windows and now, she is working on the food, decorations and they are still going to sand and stain the deck which is actually three levels of deck which are about the size of their upstairs. 

I am worried about her with everything she has going on so by doing these invitation I can help her some I am  grateful for it but I am praying that with all the glue, lace, and card stock, that they will fit in the mail and they won't have to pay extra postage. 

It is cute and I know my niece will be happy with them. I am just a bit tired and my eyes are hurting. I probably shouldn't have done 11 straight hours but the wedding is a month from today and they need to get them out and today was my sister's 20th anniversary so I was hoping I could get them finished for her today. However, I am sure I will be able to get them done by this weekend so perhaps she can work on something else on her list.
We used "Liquid glass" by "close to my heart" on the card stock and had to hold it for about 30 second to get it to hold and even then we put books on them to make it hold until we decided to put the brown paper wrap over it. We tried the "Zip Dry" (which smells like rubber cement) on them but it wet the brown paper and showed through. I didn't like the smell or how it held so that was out. 

Princess five was gluing on lace and fibers and tried the "Zip Dry" and the "Liquid Glass" but neither was holding well so I went and got this scrapbook glue my sister-in-law gave me which is similar to glue stick glue but in a tub and a bit wetter. It worked wonderfully. We thought about hot glue but were worried that it would make them too thick to mail. 

In the picture to the right, I put a piece of paper in the "holder" so you could see how the invitation and picture will go inside it. 

The embossed paper was actually someone's mis-printed wedding invitation they donated to her. She took them in and had them cut to the size she wanted and then ran it through her embosser and scored the top and bottom so she could fold it to make the holder The backs were also the wedding invitations so she didn't have to pay for any of the cream card stock used to make them. That was a great blessing for her. 

She and I had ribbons to wrap around them already and she had the fiber already as well as the paper for the stamped background. Other than time and postage, the only other cost will be for printing. 

So, when gluing lace, ribbon, fibers or even card stock, I suggest "Yes" glue. I hadn't used it before but it is acid free and great for scrapbooking. I wouldn't use the "Zip Dry" just for the smell but I did like the liquid glass. It has a tiny tip you can use a pin to seal. It delivers a fine bead line of glue. It is like watered down carpenters glue. I think that is what it is actually . 

Anyway, that is my assessment of the glues. Hope it is helpful to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment