Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Potato Soup




I was going to make black bean soup as the last soup for the wedding but I had two boxes of potatoes and two frozen bags of mashed potatoes because we over peeled potatoes for the turkey soup. I looked at several recipes that people sent or suggested but I went on my own and this is what I came up with.

I didn't want to make a cream soup because it will gel sometimes like old gravy does. I wanted to make a creamy potato soup without using cream or milk. I thawed the frozen mashed potato's and used a blender to mix the mashed potatoes into a creamy base. I then added 2 1/2 cups flour to the blender with some warm water and made it smooth and then added it to the base of potatoes. I then sauteed 6 chopped onions, a bag of the frozen carrots from this post: 1 cup of butter and some garlic then threw in the frozen carrots and let it all simmer until it is smelling wonderful!

I had two different children come up and tell me how good it smelled. I then cut up the potatoes the girls had helped peel. Then I let it cook until the potato's were done. I didn't like how little of flavor it had so I would try different spices from my spice rack and when I found the masala it was a winner. The soup has a Christmas flavor. This spice has some traditional Indian herbs but it also has cinnamon and clove down the bottom which gives it a hint of Christmas.

I let it cool and bagged it like I did the other soups and then put it in the freezer so pull out and use for the wedding. I will pull out one of the bags tomorrow and see how it tastes thawed and how the girls like it. The spice darkened the look of the soup but it has a good flavor.


I was proud of myself for going out of the box but if the girls don't like it, I will be making another soup. Here's to hoping they like my soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment