Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bulk Turkey Soup for the Wedding



First off, I am going to remind you of my post "taking stock in Turkey Soup" as to how to make stock. I wanted the soups to be from scratch that we are serving so I let you know last week that I had baked 3 turkeys on the same day. I boiled them down and made stock last week and froze it.


I pulled out my large pressure cooker and dumped one of the large soup stocks into it. I used a roaster for the second bowl of stock.


Normally when I make my home made turkey soup, I leave meat in the stock but it is usually dark meat and is a bit shredded. It tastes wonderful to me but doesn't look like the turkey soups you buy.

This time, I strained the turkey out of the stock and froze it to use for turkey quesadillas. I then used white meat from the turkeys cut into chunks for the soup so it would look more like a store bought turkey soup.



I had all three girls start peeling carrots and potatos. I still had these boxes from the food bank. I had one left of carrots and 4 of potatoes. The girls peeled 1 full box of carrots for the soup and 2 of potatoes. They peeled and I cut. I also used 2 stalks of celery. I had two gallon bags of meat and added that as well.

So, I used 3 turkeys for the stock, about 13 lbs of potatoes, about 8 lbs of carrots, two celery stalks and 2 gallons of cut meat. I added water to fill both the huge pressure cooker and the roaster and let it boil until the veggies were soft. I then let it cook and double bagged it. It made 9 gallon bags of turkey soup. I froze it and a friend is letting me store it in her freezer until the wedding day. I still have one more soup to make.

A wonderful friend is a blessing and made all the rolls for the sandwiches. It is finally starting to come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment