Thursday, December 22, 2011

Clothes, Curtains, Covers for Wedding


On the doors, there were windows. Some had glass, others didn't. We didn't want to leave the opening so you could be distracted by the things behind the doors. We also wanted to bring in the wedding contrast color.



I started collecting fabric curtains, lace curtains, table clothes, fabric pieces and anything else I could find in the colors of the wedding from yard sales and second hand stores.

Years ago I bought some cream table clothes that had light gold stitching on the flowers after Christmas for 75% off. I knew having five daughters that I would need them at some point.


I scoured the discount bolts at our local fabric stores. When I found a bolt in a fabric / linen I liked, I had someone surge the edge for me. On the contrast blue, I bought clearance blue fabrics and some scraps at second hand stores.


This table for gifts was actually a shower curtain on the bottom and a chiffon curtain drape twisted down the center. We used just about anything that was the right color.


These smaller pieces of fabric were used around the base of the pre-lit Christmas trees, draped over easels to hold pictures. They were also placed over smaller tables that held pictures of the bride and groom etc.


The larger matching clothes I bought were used on the eating tables. The clothes I had made that matched were used on the serving tables and gift tables.


For the curtains behind the doors, I used two lace panels that were used and cost me $2 each. We cut them to fit the size of the door window plus an extra foot or so on the side so that the curtains would look gathered. I used a roll of small elastic that I purchased at a second hand store. We wove the elastic through the lace at the top and tied knots in each end. Once we had enough fabric lace gathered on the elastic so it would look good, we took large thumb tacks and put a safety pin on it and then stuck it through the knot on the end of the elastic and pushed it into the inside frame of the glass on the upper inside. If we pushed it onto the door itself, the pin and tack would scratch the other doors or get knocked off.


If you look at the photo at the top and notice the elastic laced through you can see it is only through the lace and not attached to the blue fabric.


The blue fabric was then cut to be just a little piece bigger than the exact size of the door window and was held in place by the safety-pins under the tacks. We just opened the safety pins and put the fabric on and closed them. This held the contrasting blue into place. After the wedding, we just opened the safety pin and took off that blue fabric leaving the lace and tack in place along with the saftey-pin to use for next time. Whatever color the bride chooses can just be cut easily and pinned on in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment