Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Floating Wall Part 2 and Closet Doors




The floating wall idea came from me trying to incorportate pinwheels into the wedding. Princess number one wanted pinwheels, maps and doors. So, I made pinwheels out of map scrap paper. I used scrapbook paper that had maps on it in the color that I liked. I could have used real maps as we had a huge stack but I liked the consistent color of the scrapbook paper.


I learned right off that I needed something strong and stretchey to use as the other side. I bought blue wrapping paper for the contrast color but the paper was thin and the eyelets in the center of the pinwheel pulled through. So, I used contact paper. It is thick, already has glue on it and stretches some to help it get over the eyelet without ripping.

The earlier pinwheels and hearts I did using just cardstock paper and glue stick came loose and I had to glue them at the wedding to make sure they stayed in place. They did look great in between the doors for the center piece and the closet doors on the edges. I used fishing line around flat large head thumb tacks to string them across the doors.


We used beads on twine to tie them onto the fishing line. We had already measured how many straws needed to be on each twine to reach the floor. We put a bead on the bottom of the twine to hold on the straws and then taped them to the floor once they were tacked into the top of the doors and spaced evenly.


I put a box fan on a table behind the closet doors and pointed it towards the floating wall so that the pinwheels would spin. I had hoped that I could just angle the fan upward so that it would hit all the pinwheels. This didn't work. What I needed was two fans. One box at the bottom and on either on a table higher or one of the taller rotating type fans to reach the top ones.


It did look ok but not as many of the hearts and pinwheels spinned because the fan wouldn't reach both lower and higher. We learned for next time. It was interesting to watch people come in and go to examine how it worked. I guess the child in us still needs to know how things work.


Tomorrow. Cloths, covers, and curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment