Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Fixing Bubbled or Water Damaged Veneer on a Vintage / Antique Table Mersman

I bought this cool vintage table at a second hand store for $4. What a deal right? 

I saw that it had some water damage on the top but knew I could fix the bubbling to a degree and for such a cheap price, I could use wood putty after fixing it and then paint it and have a cute end table for super cheap!

I used a needle from my printer refill kit to squirt wood glue under the pulled / bubbled up vaneer. Once I get the vaneer soft putting glue in there, I then put thick plastic over the area after wiping off any excess glue. 

Once it is looking really saturated, put that thicker plastic that is flexible over the entire area and then place heavy books or if it is on an edge, you can use clamps to hold the veneer down. 



Allow the item to dry overnight and once it is really dried, you can then sand the area. Due to the darker rim around the water damage, I won't be able to stain the top due to the staining but if the area isn't really dark, you can just sand and wood fill the area and lightly fine sand that and then stain it. 

I am going to paint the entire thing cream and probably distress the edges of it since it is old and distress anyway. I finished putting wood fill in the cracks tonight and have sanded the entire thing down getting it ready to paint tomorrow. I am super excited to get this project done and off my "to do" list. 

I really like the line of the bottom edge of the table and with it being so decorative, it will match the radio table Princess Five and I refinished from my mom's estate. Here is a link to that post.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I just love taking something that is damaged and doesn't have value and making something beautiful from it! 

Doesn't the top now look so beautiful now that it is sanded and glued?! I am always hesitant to paint over wood things for some reason and kinda think I want to stain it but don't want to have to sand all the nooks and corners to stain it a lighter color so I have already purchased the paint so hopefully will be able to get to it tomorrow! 

Have a Blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment