Tuesday, September 7, 2021

How To Freeze Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Squash, Potato, Yam, Butternut, Acorn, Banana, Squashes, Pumpkin

I got a case of sweet potatoes from our local food bank as they call me when they have overages. 
They asked me to help distribute them, so I spent a day and a half taking them to neighbors, friends, and agencies where I often take food when they have overages. 

I love yams and sweet potatoes. I learned years ago to purchase extra yams after the holidays when they are on sale and freeze them so I can afford to eat them later as when they are over $1 a pound, I can't afford buying them. 


I kept a case of the potatoes for myself to bake and freeze for the next few months. I actually purchase my yams for Christmas dinner early last year and baked and froze them so I would have less to take up space in the oven when baking the turkey and squash. 

Basically, I wash them, cut out any bad spots, leave the peel on as I like that but you can peel them if you want. I then bake them in a large baking pan, of on a lined cookie sheet and cover them with foil and bake until soft. 

I share in the video how I bake the yams or sweet potatoes until they are soft. Once soft, I mash them up and add butter, salt, and pepper to them and put them into containers and freeze them with the date and contents. 

I really like the black stackable containers that are BPA free sold in the ten pack. I can stack and label them and clearly see what is in them. Living alone, I don't eat much, I like to make food in bulk when available and then freeze it into containers so I can just bake or broil fish or chicken and pull out the veggies / rice etc from the freezer so dinner is easy. 

 Hope this video is helpful. Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment